Navigation path

Unforeseen medical treatment - Denmark


  • Residents of the other Nordic countries (Finland, Iceland, Norway, Sweden) need only to show a valid national ID card to prove eligibility for public healthcare in Denmark.
  • British citizens need only to show their British passport to prove eligibility for public healthcare in Denmark.


  • Call 112 - any time in case of an emergency, within or outside office hours

Outside office hours
Information on urgent GP services ('lægevagt') from a local doctor outside office hours can be found on (Danish only)

General information on healthcare in Denmark
Staying in Denmark? How do you get help in case of illness

Or contact:

National Agency for Patient Rights and Complaints
International Health Insurance
Finsensvej 15
2000 Frederiksberg
Tel: +45 72 26 94 90
Fax: +45 72 28 66 01

Treatment, coverage & costs


  • Treatment is provided free of charge by doctors contracted to the public healthcare system.
  • Specialist consultations are free if you are referred by a doctor from the public system.


  • The cost will be lower if you consult a dentist contracted to the public healthcare system.
  • Certain preventive treatments and fillings are reimbursed up to 40%.
  • Dentures, crowns, etc. are not reimbursed.

Hospital treatment

  • In an emergency, you can go to the Accident and Emergency department (skadestue) of any public hospital.
  • In some of Denmark's 5 regions, you must schedule a consultation in advance. Information on how to get emergency hospital care can be found on (Danish only).
  • In a non-emergency, you must be referred by a doctor.
  • Treatment is free of charge.


  • Take your prescription from the doctor, hospital or specialist to any pharmacy.
  • The first time you buy medicine in Denmark, you will receive a special card with a unique number.
  • Show this card whenever you purchase medicine so your reimbursement can be calculated.
  • Whether or not you are reimbursed depends on how much prescription medicine you consume in a given year. You will not be reimbursed if the value of your annual consumption falls below a fixed minimum.


  • Ambulance service (or that of a Special Sick Vehicle 'særligt sygekøretøj') is free in emergencies.

Air ambulance

  • There are no special rules for transport by air ambulance.


If you have to pay the full price for treatment (because you did not show your European Health Insurance Card, for example), you can seek reimbursement from the public healthcare in the municipality ('kommunen') you are visiting. Find the local municipality on, “Vælg kommune” (at the top of the page - Danish only).

  • Show all original bills, receipts and referrals
  • Show your European Health Insurance Card
  • Give your bank account details (IBAN and SWIFT / BIC code)

If you were unable to submit a claim during your stay, contact your national health insurance provider once you return home.


Hospital treatments, treatments by a GP or specialist (if you have a referral from a GP) are free of charge.


The public health system reimburses up to 40% of costs for certain treatments. There is reimbursement for dentures, crowns etc.


  • Reimbursement is calculated on the basis of the actual annual consumption of prescribed medicines.
  • No reimbursement of annual costs below a fixed limit (in 2015: 925 DKK) (however 60% reimbursement for children under 18).
  • Foreigners get a special card with a unique number the first time they buy medicine in Denmark. This card must be shown at every subsequent purchase of medicine for calculation of the amount to be reimbursed.
  • For further details on reimbursement rates for medicines see the website of the Danish Health and Medicines Authority (Sundhedsstyrelsen).

Dialysis, oxygen & chemotherapy

  • If you need such treatment during your stay, you must arrange the treatment with the relevant local public hospital in Denmark well in advance of your arrival in Denmark.
  • Treatment at private providers is only covered if referral is given from a public hospital.
  • Public hospitals may refuse to arrange treatment because of capacity problems.
  • The Sundhedsstyrelsen (National Board of Health) can give information on public hospitals with dialysis, oxygen service etc.
  • For questions on costs for transport please contact the hospital.

Loss of card

Contacts for holders of EHICs issued in Denmark

  • Your municipality of residence ('bopælskommune') will issue a provisional replacement certificate.
  • In urgent cases, it can be faxed to the country you are staying.

You may contact:

Patientombuddet National Agency for Patient Rights and Complaints

International Health Insurance

Finsensvej 15

2000 Frederiksberg

Tel.: +45 72 26 94 90

Fax: +45 72 28 66 01



  • Tweet it Share on Facebook Share on google+