Personal data protection
The European Union is committed to user privacy.
The policy on protection of individuals with regard to the processing of personal data by the Community institutions is currently based on Regulation (EC) No 45/2001,and not on the general data protection regulation (GDPR) Regulation 2016/679 that repeals Directive 95/46/EC.
The new version of Regulation 45/2001 is currently being adopted. The legal notices on Europa will be updated in accordance with the new version.
This general policy covers all the European Union's institutional websites within the .eu domain. Although you can browse through most of these websites without giving any information about yourself, in some cases, personal information is required in order to provide the e-services you request.
In this respect
- within each institution, a Data Protection Officer ensures that the provisions of the regulation are applied and advises controllers on fulfilling their obligations
- for all the institutions, the European Data Protection Supervisor will act as an independent supervisory authority
The European Union's institutional websites within the .eu domain provide links to third-party sites. Since we do not control them, we encourage you to review their privacy policies.
An e-service on EUROPA is a service or resource made available on the internet in order to improve the communication between people and businesses on the one hand and the European institutions on the other.
3 types of e-services are, or will be, offered by EUROPA:
- information services that provide people, media, business, administrations and others with easy and effective access to information
- interactive communication services that allow better contacts with people, business, civil society and public bodies, inorder to facilitate policy consultations and feedback
- transaction services that allow access to all basic forms of transactions with the EU, such as procurement, financial operations, recruitment, event enrolment, acquisition of documents
Information contained in a specific privacy statement
- what information is collected and for what purpose and the technical means the EU collects personal information in order to fulfil a specific purpose
- to whom your information is disclosed
- how you can access your information, verify its accuracy and, if necessary, correct it
- how long your data is kept
- what security measures are taken to safeguard your information against possible misuse or unauthorised access
- whom to contact if you have queries or complaints
Europa Analytics is the corporate service that measures the effectiveness and efficiency of the European Commission's websites on EUROPA.
By default, website visitors are tracked using the first-party persistent cookies from Europa. You may choose not to be tracked by Piwik (opt-out). If you change your mind, you can choose to be tracked again by Piwik (opt-in).
To check your current status and make your choice, tick the corresponding box in the text below.
The European Commission manages on behalf of all EU institutions and bodies the inter-institutional website (europa.eu). Visit the following legal notice page to opt out from being tracked on these pages.
EU institutions and bodies other than the European Commission currently use their own analytics system. Visit their legal notice pages for more information.
Choosing not to be tracked by Piwik does not affect your navigation experience on Europa sites.
Contacting Europa sites
Many webpages on Europa have a contact button, which activates your email software and invites you to send your comments to a specific mailbox.When you send such a message, your personal data is collected only in order to reply.
If the team responsible for the mailbox is unable to answer your question, it will forward your email to another service. You will be informed, via email, about which service your question has been forwarded to.
If you have any questions about the processing of your email and related personal data, do not hesitate to include them in your message.
Collected personal data is stored on a computer of the external subcontractor acting as processor, who has to guarantee the data protection and confidentiality required by Regulation (EC) 45/2001.
Verifying, modifying or deleting information
If you want to verify, modify or delete your personal data stored by the responsible controllers for the Europa website and its sub-sites, you can email the data controller for the Europa website in DG Communication at the address below. In your email, clearly state your request and include the URL of the website/webpages your request refers to.