Legislation - Health
In December 2008, the European Parliament and the Council adopted 'Regulation 1338/2008 on Community statistics on public health and health and safety at work'. The Regulation is designed to ensure that health statistics provide adequate information for all EU Member States to monitor Community actions in the field of public health and health and safety at work.
The Regulation lists five domains for which implementing regulations specifying in detail the list of variables and methodological aspects were or are to be developed:
- Health status and health determinants
- Health care: Regulation (EU) 2015/359 on statistics on health care expenditure and financing was adopted in 2015
- Causes of death: Regulation (EU) No 328/2011 on statistics on causes of death was adopted in 2011
- Accidents at work: Regulation (EU) No 349/2011 on statistics on accidents at work was adopted in 2011
- Occupational diseases and other work-related health problems and illnesses
Regulation (EU) No 141/2013 on European Health Interview Survey covers parts of the two first domains, i.e. health status, health determinants and health care.
In addition, data on selected health issues are collected via two other social surveys, namely: