Methodology - National accounts
ESA 2010 and SNA 2008
The European System of National and Regional Accounts 2010 (ESA2010) was published in the Official Journal on 26 June 2013 and implemented as from September 2014; i.e. from that date onwards the data transmissions from Member States to Eurostat have to follow ESA 2010 rules (see also the dedicated section on the Eurostat website).
The ESA 2010 is broadly consistent with the System of National Accounts 2008 (SNA2008), the world-level harmonised reference methodology for national accounts.
Formally, the ESA is a legal act, it has more precise definitions and it is intended as reference guide, whereas the SNA includes more explanations and background information, and it can be used as a teaching handbook for statisticians worldwide.
Note to users
Please note that some documents contain references to ESA 95 instead of ESA 2010. They will still be updated or are kept for comparison purposes.
Main methodological references
- Manual on Government Deficit and Debt — Implementation of ESA 2010 — 2019 edition
- Manual on sources and methods for the compilation of COFOG statistics — 2019 edition
- Eurostat-OECD Report on Intellectual Property Products
- Handbook on Seasonal Adjustment
- Practical guidelines for revising ESA 2010 data
- Handbook on the compilation of statistics on illegal economic activities in national accounts and balance of payments
- Handbook on Rapid Estimates
- Eurostat - OECD Compilation guide on inventories
- Eurostat Handbook on price and volume measures in national accounts
- Manual on the changes between ESA95 and ESA2010 - 2014 edition
- Manual on measuring Research and Development in ESA 2010
- Manual on goods sent abroad for processing - 2014 edition
- Manual on regional accounts methods - 2013 edition
- Handbook on quarterly national accounts - 2013 edition
- Eurostat-OECD Methodological Manual on Purchasing Power Parities
- Essential SNA - Building the basics - 2014 edition
- Eurostat-OECD survey on national practices in estimating net stock of structures
- Eurostat-OECD guide on land estimation
- Technical Compilation Guide for Pension Data in National Accounts
- IMF - Quarterly national accounts manual (2017 edition)
- UNECE Guide to Measuring Global Production
- OECD - Understanding National accounts (2014 edition)
- OECD Manual measuring capital
- OECD Handbook measuring the non-observed economy
A chronological list of manuals and guidelines can be found on the ESA 2010 information website.