Where do your Valentine`s Day flowers come from? - Products Eurostat News

null Where do your Valentine`s Day flowers come from?

13/02/2017

© Volurol / Shutterstock.com

The Netherlands is the EU's main exporter of cut flowers, accounting for 87% of EU Member Statesˈ exports. The country that imports the most cut flowers is Germany with 25% of all EU imports.

Over the first 10 months of 2016, 84% of the EU Member Statesˈ exports of cut flowers were from trade among EU Member States. The remaining 16% went to non-EU countries, in particular Russia (34% of the exports outside the EU), Switzerland (22%), and the United States (16%).

A quarter of the cut flowers that the EU Member States imported came from outside the EU, mainly Kenya (38% of imports of non-EU origin), Ecuador (17%) and Ethiopia (16%).

 

EU trade in cut flowers Jan-Oct 2016