In 2020, 70% of the population in the EU lived in a household owning their home, while the remaining 30% lived in rented housing.
The highest shares of ownership were observed in Romania, where 96% of the population lived in a household that owned their home, followed by Slovakia (92%), Hungary and Croatia (both 91%).
In all Member States, except for Germany, owning is most common. In Germany’s case, half of the population lived in a household owning their home and the other half in a rented home. The shares of homeownership were lowest also in Austria (55%) and Denmark (59%).
Eurostat recently updated the interactive publication Housing in Europe - 2021 interactive edition, so make sure to visit and browse to know more about housing in the EU.
For more information:
- Eurostat interactive publication Housing in Europe - 2021 interactive edition
- Eurostat database on income and living conditions
- Eurostat dedicated section on income, social inclusion and living conditions
- Eurostat database on housing price and sales statistics
- Eurostat dedicated section on housing price and sales statistics
To contact us, please visit our User Support page.
For press queries, please contact our Media Support.