Regulatory Framework - AVMSD
Audiovisual Media Services
These days we can watch our favourite programmes from all over Europe not just on TV, but also via the internet or on our mobile phones. Like other goods and services, the audiovisual media are subject to the rules of the single European market.
To function optimally, this "single European TV market" needs a minimum set of common rules covering aspects like advertising and protection of minors.
These rules are laid down in the EU's Audiovisual Media Services Directive, which governs EU-wide coordination of national legislation on all audiovisual media, both traditional TV broadcasts and on-demand services.
Goals of EU coordination
- providing rules to shape technological developments
- creating a level playing field for emerging audiovisual media
- preserving cultural diversity
- protecting children and consumers
- safeguarding media pluralism
- combating racial and religious hatred
- guaranteeing the independence of national media regulators.
Areas of EU coordination
The AVMSD governs EU-wide coordination of national legislation in the following areas: