The Indicators' Sub-Group (ISG) of the Social Protection Committee (SPC) was set up in 2001 to:
- develop and define EU social indicators to monitor member countries' progress towards the commonly agreed objectives underpinning the Open Method of Coordination for social protection and inclusion,
- carry out analytical work based on agreed indicators and develop analytical frameworks to support policy reviews conducted by the SPC,
- contribute to the improvement of social statistics at EU level, particularly through development of the EU Survey on Income and Living Conditions (EU-SILC).
- is composed of national experts in the fields of social inclusion, pensions and health and long term care from each EU country and the European Commission.
- is supported by the Commission’s policy analysts (DG Employment, Social Affairs and Inclusion) and statisticians (Eurostat).
- draws on academic expertise through studies and specific contributions.
The current composition of the ISG Bureau is as follows: Chair: Kristoffer Lundberg (SE); Vice-Chair: Volker Schmitt (DE), the Secretariat and Commission representative(s).
The ISG Secretariat is provided by the Commission. The current Secretary is Paul Minty.