ISA² Interim Evaluation
As the ISA² Programme reached its midway point, the European Commission has launched an interim evaluation of the programme. The interim evaluation is a legal obligation coming from the ISA² Decision establishing the programme. It aims to assess how well the ISA² Programme has performed since its start in 2016 and whether its existence continues to be justified. The Commission will use the evaluation results to improve the implementation of ISA² and its eventual successor programme(s) to bring more value to its stakeholders.
To learn more about the process of the interim evaluation, read the Evaluation Roadmap.
The European Commission contracted CEPS to conduct an independent interim evaluation study which has two main objectives:
- Evaluating the implementation of the programme by considering seven evaluation criteria:
- Relevance - the alignment between the objectives of the programme and the current needs and problems experienced by stakeholders;
- Effectiveness - the extent to which the programme has achieved its objectives;
- Efficiency - the extent to which the programme’s objectives are achieved at a minimum cost.
- Coherence - the alignment between the programme and comparable EU initiatives as well as the overall EU policy framework;
- EU added value - the additional impacts generated by the programme, as opposed to leaving the subject matter in the hands of Member States;
- Utility - the extent to which the programme meet stakeholders’ needs;
- Sustainability - the likelihood that the programme’s results will last beyond its completion.
- Identifying areas of potential improvement and devising recommendations to improve the functioning of the programme and bring more value to its partners.
As part of the interim evaluation study, a number of consultation activities are currently underway, in line with the Commission’s Better Regulation agenda. These activities include:
- A total of 30 targeted interviews are being conducted with relevant stakeholders as listed in the table below. The interviews will be finalised by January 2019.
- Targeted online surveys have been set up in order to complement the targeted interviews. Relevant stakeholders have the chance to make their voice heard through an online survey designed to match the content of the targeted interviews. The survey is made available online to the relevant stakeholder groups until 18/01/2019.
- A public consultation is available online in 23 EU languages (open from 07/12/2018 to 01/03/2019) and all stakeholders are invited to share their views and opinions on the performance of ISA2.
- The ISA² Mid-Term Conference and ISA² Interim Evaluation Kick-Off Workshop offered the opportunity to gather initial input from stakeholders through a written questionnaire that was distributed during both events.
Details on consultation activities as well as updates on the consultation timeline will follow soon.