The better regulation guidelines set out the principles that the European Commission follows when preparing new initiatives and proposals and when managing and evaluating existing legislation.
The guidelines apply to each phase of the law-making cycle.
The better regulation toolbox contains more detailed advice on how to:
- apply general principles of better regulation
- carry out impact assessments
- identify impacts
- prepare proposals, implementation and transposition
- monitor the application of an intervention
- carry out evaluations and fitness checks
- consult stakeholders
- apply methods, models, costs and benefits