The 11th European Forum on the rights of the child took place on 7 and 8 November 2017.
In the context of the forthcoming UN Global study on children deprived of liberty, and in follow-up to the 12 April 2017 Communication on the protection of children in migration, the 2017 Forum was dedicated to the topic of children deprived of their liberty and alternatives to detention.
A side event on pathways and vulnerabilities of children who are affected by deprivation of liberty (their own or that of their parents) took place on 6 and 7 November. The two events brought together, over three days, 316 participants from all EU Member States as well as Iceland, Norway, Switzerland and the Western Balkans (Albania, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Kosovo, Montenegro, Serbia and the former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia).
The organisers would like to thank all participants for their active engagement and in particular the 70 or so speaker who generously shared their expertise and experience. We are especially grateful to the young people who accepted to share their very personal experience of deprivation of liberty, conveying powerful messages to policy-makers and practitioners.
Photos and videos from the Forum:
- Video testimonies by Ellen Maloney, Pinar Aksu and Dylan Moore on their experience of deprivation of liberty
- A selection of photos, including graphic recordings of discussions (coming soon)
- Links to a selection of videos, photos and documentaries on children deprived of liberty and alternatives to detention
Please consult the Forum key documents:
- General background paper and annexes:
Time passes differently for children. See a child's perception of time by Maximilian Kiener.
Watch video recordings from the side event and the Forum
6.11.2017 - side event day 1
7.11.2017 - side event day 2
7.11.2017 - Forum day 1
8.11.2017 - Forum day 2, parallel session 2
8.11.2017 - Forum day 2, parallel session 3
8.11.2017 - Forum day 2, parallel session 4
- Event organisers: European Commission, Directorate General for Justice and Consumers, email@example.com
- Registration: SCIC-CONF-CHILD-RIGHTSfirstname.lastname@example.org
- Travel and accommodation: EU-Child-Forum@Tipik.eu (please add this e-mail to your contacts, so that your spam filter does not block emails coming from this address)
- European Forum on the rights of the child - previous meetings
- Data compilation on children in migration
- DG Justice Rights of the child
- Newsletter on the rights of the child
Other relevant documents
- EU acquis and policy documents on the rights of the child
- Summary of EU-funded projects on rights of the child and violence against children 2013-present
- Compilation of data, situation and media reports on children in migration