The ESS Vision 2020
is a common strategic response of the European Statistical System (Eurostat, EU Member States and EFTA countries) to the challenges that official statistics is facing. It was adopted by the ESS Committee in May 2014.
"Our ambition is to stay relevant by building on our strengths."
"We will be agile and look for innovative solutions to deal with the many challenges ahead."
"While we aim to retain our strengths we will develop an ESS that:
- is guided by quality in all activities and continues to deliver coherent, relevant and reliable statistics based on internationally harmonised concepts, sound methodologies and a strict data protection regime;
- engages users proactively and meets their demands in a cost-efficient and responsive manner;
- promotes efficiency and realises productivity gains through collaboration in sharing methods, tools, technological infrastructure and where appropriate data and human resources, based on legal frameworks and all prerequisites needed to ensure statistical confidentiality;
- embraces opportunities provided by the digital transformation and harnesses new data sources to produce meaningful statistics;
- delivers information in an interactive and easily understandable way, and improves the statistical literacy of European citizens and institutions by guiding them through the deluge of data and information from various origins."
The ESS Vision 2020 identifies five key areas in which common action is needed in order for European statistics to be "fit for the future". As agreed by the ESS Committee, the implementation of the ESS Vision 2020 is taken forward by progressing on a portfolio of common projects that is complemented by so called "supporting frameworks", and is steered by a dedicated ESS governance structure.
(no registration is needed; click a second time on this link if you have been prompted to log in).