You will learn when and how old-age pension is granted in Slovakia.
When can I apply for benefits?
The Slovak pension system consists of three independent systems, i.e. 3 pillars. You may receive old-age pension (starobný dôchodok) from the mandatory pension insurance, old-age pension saving or voluntary supplementary pension saving system.
Old-age pension is provided after reaching the statutory retirement age for securing income during old age.
As of 1 July 2015, the minimum pension has been introduced.
The old-age beneficiaries qualify for the minimum pension even if they have been awarded as the early old age pension or the invalidity pension after reaching the pensionable age.
The qualifying conditions for the minimum pension are satisfied if the person:
- completes at least 30 years of pension insurance period which can also be pension insurance period completed abroad;
- the sum of pension incomes inclusive of incomes from abroad is lower than the minimum pension amount;
- has claimed all pension types to which s/he could be entitled to (e.g. survivor's pensions).
Since 2017, the legal retirement age has been gradually increased in line with average life expectancy at the reference age for both men and women until it reaches 64 (lower for women who raise children).
From 1st January 2020, the retirement age is set for all insured persons depending on their date of birth, sex and the number of children raised. It varies from 53 for women born before 1951 to 64 for men and women born in 1966 or later. The overview of the pensionable age valid from 1st January 2020 is available on the website of the Social Insurance Agency
You are entitled to old-age pension from mandatory pension insurance (1st pillar) if you have been insured for at least 15 years and you have reached the retirement age.
You are entitled to old-age pension from the old-age pension saving system (2nd pillar) if you have reached the retirement age.
You are entitled to old-age pension in the form of lifelong or fixed term supplementary old-age pension either upon meeting conditions in your contract on supplementary pension savings or upon meeting conditions in the act on supplementary pension savings (reaching the age for entitlement to an old-age pension or receiving old-age pension or early old-age pension from mandatory pension insurance).
Subject to the fulfilment of the conditions stipulated by law, you are also entitled to early old-age pension (predčasný starobný dôchodok) from the 1st and 2nd pillar.
What conditions do I have to meet?
You are entitled to old-age pension if you have been insured for at least 15 years and have reached the retirement age.
Insurance periods completed in another EU Member State are taken into account for the pension claim on condition that the insured person:
- has not completed the required pension insurance period in Slovakia, or
- has completed the insurance period after having qualified to the old age pension in Slovakia or in another EU Member State. These insurance periods are taken into account based on the form E 205/P5000.These form is issued based on several supporting documents (e.g. diploma, insurance periods record, leaving certificate).The pension amount is calculated only from insurance periods completed in Slovakia.
When you become eligible for old-age pension and continue engaging in gainful activity, pension insurance for this period is valorised for the purpose of determining the amount of your future pension.
An old-age pension recipient may receive a pension and, at the same time, work without any restrictions. This does not apply to an early old age pension which will not be paid out if the beneficiary starts performing work. Nevertheless, since 1 July 2018 an early old age pension recipient may receive an early age pension and, at the same time, may work outside an employment relationship provided that the annual income does not exceed € 2.400. If the income is higher, the payment of the early old-age pension is interrupted. Recipients are not covered by compulsory old-age insurance.
After reaching the statutory retirement age, the early old-age pension is converted to the old-age pension which may be recalculated upon the request of the beneficiary.
The entitlement to a pension from pension insurance abroad arises when you work abroad for more than a year.
What benefits can I apply for and how should I exercise my rights?
You may apply for old-age pension at the relevant branch of the Social Insurance Agency according to the place of your permanent residence. If you are not permanently resident in Slovakia, you have to file your application at the headquarters of the Social Insurance Agency.
The following documents should be appended to the old-age pension application:
- Valid identity document (identity card or passport);
- Certificate of completed education (vocational certificate, general certificate of education, diploma, etc.);
- Military service book or another document issued by the competent military administration;
- Children's birth certificates;
- Decision of the Social Insurance Agency on the spouse's pension, if a single source of income;
- Certificate confirming all periods, during which you were entered in the register of unemployed jobseekers prior to 1 January 2001;
- Received unemployment benefits in the period from 1 January 2001 until 31 December 2003;
- Documents on employment (namely registered certificate of pension insurance);
- Employer's certificate confirming the period of employment abroad prior to 1 May 1990 in countries, with which Slovakia has not concluded an international agreement on social insurance;
- If you apply for payment of the pension benefits by transfer to your bank account, request your bank to confirm the Application for Remittance of Pension Benefits to the Pensioner's Bank Account form.
The aim of the 2nd pillar old-age pension is to ensure income in old age as well as the 1st pillar pension. Old-age pension from the 2nd pillar is paid only in concurrence with pension from the 1st pillar.
You may choose:
- Life Annuity (Doživotný dôchodok) - the payments are made by the pension insurance company on the basis of the pension contract.
- Provisional Pension (Dočasný dôchodok) - paid monthly during 5, 7 or 10 years by the pension insurance company.
- Programmed withdrawal (programový výber) - if the sum of money accrued is higher than reference amount by the pension fund management company.
You may apply for old-age pension from the 2nd pillar by submitting an application to the Social Insurance Agency or by submitting to pension fund management company, ,with which you have concluded the old-age pension saving contract. More detailed information will be provided by your fund management company.
- Countries subject to the EU coordination regulations: 28 EU Member States + Iceland, Lichtenstein, Norway and Switzerland (European Economic Area states)
- Current pension value
- Pension insurance period
- Personal wage point
- Personal assessment base
- Average personal wage point
- Reference period
- General assessment base
- Pension application
- Registered certificate of pension insurance
- Form E 205 - When demonstrating the period of pension insurance abroad
Know your rights
Link to additional information provided by the European Commission:
Who do you need to contact for advice about social security?
Social Insurance Agency (Sociálna poisťovňa)
Phone: +421 800 123 123