A multilingual platform for collaborative thesaurus management
You want to centralise the management of controlled vocabularies and metadata used by your public administration to support interoperability.
Originally released by the Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations and the Artificial Intelligence Research Group of the University of Rome Tor Vergata, VocBench is:
- a free web-based platform facilitating collaborative editing and management;
- designed to meet the needs of the semantic web.
Furthermore, this tool:
- manages multilingual controlled vocabularies such as ontologies, thesauri, authority lists, glossaries and lexicons;
- allows users to maintain, validate and publish content through a flexible group management environment.
The new version, VocBench3 (v6.0), includes:
- an extension point for accessing dataset repositories and registries, for searching datasets of interest, and for importing them;
- specific connectors to repositories and registries for the provisioning of datasets;
- advanced concept management;
- support for the assignment of properties to multiple resources;
- support for the assignment of multiple values when enriching a property;
- support for bulk editing and bulk deleting;
- improved visualisation of graphs and resources;
- new implemented features, exploration modes, filters and operations on nodes in the graph
- improved Sheet2RDF editing with a more powerful wizard;
- updated alphabetic index of the lexical entry list when a new ‘LexicalEntry’ is created;
- new ‘blacklisting’ feature for projects with enabled ‘validation’, which adds all terms proposed in a rejected action to a blacklist pool;
- improved user interface of metadata management;
- improved alignment validation with the integration of Genoma;
- updated registration form and description in the welcome page;
- option to add a preference for a list of languages to be shown on the resource description;
- improved options in the ‘Resource view’ by enabling or disabling the ‘add’ and ‘delete’ operations and asserting all inferred statements of a described resource.
VocBench3 can help public administrations to maintain and publish their controlled vocabularies in an open and interoperable way.
The development is managed by the Publications Office of the European Union.
Feedback and comments on VocBench3 are welcome.
Learn more about the ISA² action on semantic interoperability.
Previous versions of VocBench are used by the Vocbench community:
- The EU Publications Office: EuroVoc Thesaurus, EU Open Data Portal
- The European Commission's Directorate for Informatics
- The Food and Agriculture Organization: AGROVOC, Biotechnology, Land and Water, FAO Topics
- The United Nations Environment Programme: InforMEA, in the context of MEA, the Information and Knowledge Management Initiative
- The United Nations Convention to Combat Desertification
- The European Environment Agency: GEMET Thesaurus
- The Italian Senate: TESEO Thesaurus
- The Netherlands: Firebrary
- The Scottish Government: Gov metadata
- Harvard University: Unified Astronomy Thesaurus
- Columbia University: IEDA Thesaurus
- Institut National de la Recherche Agronomique: in the context of the AnaEE France project (ecosystems and biodiversity thesaurus) and Délégation à l'information scientifique et technique (DIST)
- Centre for Agriculture and Biosciences International: CABI
- Unesco: Unesco Thesaurus