A multilingual platform for collaborative thesaurus management
You need a solution for the management, alignment and publication of your controlled vocabularies, i.e. organised arrangements of words and phrases used to index content and retrieve content through browsing or searching.
You want to centralise the management of controlled vocabularies and metadata used by your public administration to support interoperability.
VocBench3 is a new version of VocBench, originally released by the Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations and the Artificial Intelligence Research Group of the University of Rome Tor Vergata. It is a free web-based platform facilitating collaborative editing and management. Designed to meet the needs of the semantic web, the tool manages multilingual controlled vocabularies such as thesauri, authority lists and glossaries. It also allows users to maintain, validate and publish content through flexible group management environment.
The new version improves upon the capabilities of its predecessors, focusing mainly on collaborative and multilingual features. VocBench3 is more user-friendly and has largely revised the back-end architecture that handles vocabularies. It includes the easier editing of thesauri and dedicated support for ontologies and Simple Knowledge Organisation System (SKOS) standards.
The platform is still under development. Its final delivery is planned by the end of July 2017.
VocBench3 can help public administrations to maintain and publish their controlled vocabularies in an open and interoperable way.
Learn more about the ISA² action on semantic interoperability.
Previous versions of VocBench are used by the Vocbench community:
- The EU Publications Office: EuroVoc Thesaurus
- The European Commission's Directorate for Informatics
- The Food and Agriculture Organization: AGROVOC, Biotechnology, Land and Water, FAO Topics
- The United Nations Environment Programme: InforMEA, in the context of MEA, the Information and Knowledge Management Initiative
- The United Nations Convention to Combat Desertification
- The European Environment Agency: GEMET Thesaurus
- The Italian Senate: TESEO Thesaurus
- The Scottish Government: Gov metadata
- Harvard University: Unified Astronomy Thesaurus
- Columbia University: IEDA Thesaurus
- Institut National de la Recherche Agronomique: in the context of the AnaEE France project (ecosystems and biodiversity thesaurus) and Délégation à l'information scientifique et technique (DIST)
- Centre for Agriculture and Biosciences International
- Unesco: Unesco Thesaurus