Disclaimer: The content of the documents does not necessarily represent the official position of the European Commission
- JRC - Life Cycle Thinking - seeks to identify possible improvements to goods and services in the form of lower environmental impacts and reduced use of the resources across all life cycle stages.
- Life Cycle indicators for resources, products and waste
- Environmental Assessment of Municipal Waste Management Scenarios:
- Inventory of Existing Studies Applying Life Cycle Thinking to Biowaste Management
- Bioeconomy Report, 2016
- Current options for the valorization of food manufacturing waste: a review, 2013
- Improving Sustainability and Circularity of European Food Waste Management with a Life Cycle Approach, 2015
- Techno-economic and profitability analysis of food waste biorefineries at European level, 2018 NEW!
- The European Innovation Partnership (EIP) "Agricultural Productivity and Sustainability"
- European Commission - Closing the loop - An EU action plan for the Circular Economy, Annex to the action plan, 2015
- European Commission - Guidelines for the feed use of food no longer intended for human consumption, 2018
- European Commission - Market study on date marking and other information provided on food labels and food waste prevention, Executive summary, Annexes, 2018
- European Commission - Guidelines on the Preparation of Food Waste Prevention Programmes, 2011
- European Commission - Roadmap to a Resource Efficient Europe, 2011
- European Commission - Food Hygiene
- Commission Notice on the implementation of food safety management systems covering prerequisite programs (PRPs) and procedures based on the HACCP principles, including the facilitation/flexibility of the implementation in certain food businesses
- European Commission - Guidelines for food business operators on the Understanding of certain provisions on flexibility provided in the Hygiene Package , 2010
- European Commission - Guidelines for the competent authorities on the Understanding of certain provisions on flexibility provided in the Hygiene Package , 2010
- European Commission - VAT committee
- European Commission - Guidelines on Foodstuffs donated to the poor concerning the application of EU VAT provisions ; (all guidelines )
- European Commission - Food Quality Certification Schemes
- EU best practice guidelines for voluntary certification schemes for agricultural products and foodstuffs. This might help for those who would like to develop quality certification schemes on food products that will be food waste "friendly".
- EU: European Court of Auditors report - Combating Food Waste: an opportunity for the EU to improve the resource-efficiency of the food supply chain, 2016
- Food losses and waste in the context of sustainable food systems, Committee on World Food Security/High Level Panel of Experts (CFS/HLPE), 2014
- EU Parliament report: "How to avoid food wastage: strategies for a more efficient food chain in EU", 2012
- EU Parliament - "Resource efficiency: Reducing food waste, improving food safety", 2017.
- Council of the European Union - "Food losses and food waste: Council conclusions", 2016.
- EU Economic and Social Committee: "Comparative Study on EU Member States legislation and practices on food donation", 2014
- EU Economic and Social Committee: "Opinion on prevention and reduction of food waste", 2013
- Sustainable food consumption & production in a resource-constrained world , 3rd SCAR report, 2011
- Nordic Council of Ministers - Food Redistribution in the Nordic Region: experiences and results from a pilot study, 2015
- Nordic Council of Ministers - Food Redistribution in the Nordic Region, phase II: identification of best practice models for enhanced food redistribution, 2016
- UK House of Lords European Union Committee, Counting the Cost of Food Waste: EU Food Waste Prevention, 2014 - download
- World Resources Institute (WRI) report - The business case for reducing food loss and waste, 2017
- World Resources Institute (WRI) report - The business case for reducing food loss and waste: Catering, 2018 NEW!
- World Resources Institute (WRI) report - The business case for reducing food loss and waste: Hotels, 2018 NEW!
- ADEME - Food Losses and Waste - Inventory and management at each stage in the food chain, Executive Summary (EN), 2016
- ADEME - Pertes et gaspillages alimentaires: l'état des lieux et leur gestion par étapes de la chaine alimentaire, Rapport (FR), 2016
- Food Wastage Footprint: Impacts on Natural Resources, FAO, 2013
- Global food losses and food waste, FAO, 2011
- JRC - Food waste accounting along global and European food supply chains: State of the art and outlook, 2018 NEW!
- Quantifying household waste of fresh fruit and vegetables in the EU, 2018
- Food waste accounting: Methodologies, challenges and opportunities, 2017
- Netherlands Nutrition Centre, Fact sheet - Consumer Food Waste, December 2014
- Nordic Council of Ministers - Food losses and waste in primary production: Data collection in the Nordic countries, 2016
- Nordic Council of Ministers - Food losses and waste in primary production (technical report) Case studies on carrots, onions, peas, cereals and farmed fish, 2017
- Østfoldforskning, Food Waste in Norway 2010-2015 - Final Report from the ForMat Project
- Preparatory study on food waste across EU 27, BIO IS, 2010
- WRAP - Household food and drink waste: A product focus, 2014
- Belgium - Circular concerning date marking, Belgian food safety agency (Agence fédérale pour la Sécurité de la Chaine Alimentaire), 2011
- Nordic Council of Ministers - Best before - Good After? Infographic, Food Waste and date labelling: Factors determining the durability of refrigerated foods, 2017
- Nordic Council of Ministers - Date labelling in the Nordic Countries: practice of legislation, 2015
- Nordic Council of Ministers - Food waste and date labelling: Issues affecting the durability, 2016
- Nordic Council of Ministers - Food Waste and date labelling: Factors determining the durability of refrigerated foods, 2017
- Wageningen UR - Study on date marking and food waste, 2013
- Wageningen UR - Brochure for industry: information on expiry dates for businesses, 2014
- WRAP, Food Standards Agency, UK Department for Environment, Food & Rural Affairs – Labelling guidance, 2017
- EU - Guidelines on food donation, 2017
- Belgium - Circular on the provisions applied to food banks and charity organisations (FR; NL), Belgian food safety agency (Agence fédérale pour la Sécurité de la Chaine Alimentaire), 2017.
- Finland - Foodstuffs donated to food aid , Finnish food safety agency (EVIRA), 2017
- FoodDrinkEurope, EuroCommerce, FEBA, 2017- Every Meal Matters
- France - Information on food donation and sectorial guidelines
- France - Food donation guidelines for agricultural products, Direction régionale de l'alimentation, de l'agriculture et de la forêt de Rhône-Alpes (DRAAF), 2013 - More information on donation of agricultural products
- France - Food donation guidelines for food industry, Direction régionale de l'alimentation, de l'agriculture et de la forêt de Rhône-Alpes (DRAAF), 2013 - More information on food donation
- France - Food donation guidelines for the catering sector, Direction régionale de l'alimentation, de l'agriculture et de la forêt de Rhône-Alpes (DRAAF), 2013 - More information on food donation from the food service sector
- France - Food donation from catering sector - city of Paris
- France - Guide to food donation by national food industry (ANIA), retail (FCD), primary producers (FNSEA) and association for solidarity (SOLAAL), 2013
- France - Guide to Good Hygiene Practices in the distribution of foods by charity organisations, French Federation of Food Banks, 2011
- FUSIONS: Hospitality Food Surplus Redistribution Guidelines, September 2015
- Germany - Guidelines for the donation of food to social welfare organisations. Legal aspects. German Federal Ministry of Food, Agriculture and Consumer Protection, 2014
- Ireland - Food Donation Guidance to Charities and Businesses, the Food Safety Authority of Ireland (FSAI), 2017
- Italy - Food donation guidelines of Emilia Romagna
- Italy - Guide to good practice for charitable organisations, Caritas Italiana, Fondazione Banco Alimentare Onlus, March 2016
- Luxembourg - Recovery / donation of food for human consumption, 2016
- Netherlands - Food donation guidelines for charities and voluntary organisations, Netherlands Food and Consumer Product Safety Authority.
- Portugal - Technical note on food donations, Portuguese Authority for Food and Economic Safety (ASAE) , 2014
- Portugal - Procedures for food donation in hospitality and catering sector , Dariacordar/ASAE/DGAV
- Portugal - Procedures for food donation by large establishments , Dariacordar/ASAE/DGAV
- Portugal - Frequently Asked Questions on food donation , Dariacordar/ASAE/DGAV
- Spain (Autonomous Community of Catalonia) - Guide to good hygiene practices for food waste reduction in restaurants and retail trade, Catalan Food Safety Agency (Agència Catalana de Seguretat Alimentària), 2013. The document is available in Catalan and Spanish.
- United Kingdom - Framework for Effective Redistribution Partnerships, WRAP 2016
- United Kingdom - Guidance on the application of EU food hygiene law to community and charity food provision, UK Food Standards Agency, 2016
- European Hospitality Industry Guidelines to Reduce Food Waste and Recommendations to Manage Food Donations, (Hotrec, 2017)
- Food waste measurement principles and resources guide, (WRAP, 2018) NEW!
- Prevention and reduction of food and drink waste in businesses and households. Guidance for governments, local authorities, businesses and other organisations, UNEP/FAO/WRAP, 2014
- Spain - Practical guide to reduce food waste in the retail sector. Good use of food (MAGRAMA, 2015)
- Spain - Practical guide to reduce food waste at education centres. Good use of food> (MAGRAMA, 2015)
- Spain - Practical guide for the consumer: How to reduce food waste. Good use of food (MAGRAMA, 2015)
- Agència Catalana de Seguretat Alimentària. Malbaratament d’aliments - Despilfarro de alimentos
- Austria - Lebensmittel sind kostbar!
- BBC News - Half of all food 'thrown away' claims report
- Bruxelles - Good Food
- Bruxelles Environnement - Alimentation: Le gaspi, salsifi!
- Bruxelles Environnement - Mon alimentation - Halte au gaspillage!
- Denmark - Stop wasting food movement
- Flanders - Food waste prevention
- France - Alimentation.gouv.fr - Gaspillage alimentaire
- Germany - Zu gut für die Tonne!
- Germany - Lebensmittel Wertschätzen
- Green Cook – Towards a global sustainable management of food
- Hungary - Wasteless
- Leefmilieu Brussel - Voeding: Verspilling, weg ermee!
- Luxembourg - AntiGaspi website
- The Netherlands - No waste network website
- Nordic Council of Ministers - "Reducing Food Waste" Nordic project
- Portugal - The National Commission for Combating Food Waste
- Say No To Food Waste blog
- Spain - "Más alimento, menos desperdicio" national strategy
- Sweden - Food Waste Reduction Project 2013-2015
- Taste The Waste - film
- UK - Food waste reduction - WRAP
- UK - Love Food Hate Waste
- UN - Think - Eat - Save
- Wallonia - Plan REGAL
|The European Food Information Council (EUFIC)
Educational videos produced by EUFIC to attract attention and raise awareness about the importance of not wasting food.
|What can we do about food waste? Fresh facts for restaurant, catering and hospitality staff
Calling on people to set up a food waste recycling system to help the environment in USZero Waste SA
|Food waste - Don't be trashy!
Educational video aimed at reducing food waste in US, notably amongst university students
|Stop Wasting Food!
Call to join by the Stop Wasting Food movement, a non-profit consumer movement which fights food waste in DenmarkStop Wasting Food movement
|Stop Wasting Food
Information video produced by Stop Wasting Food movement, a non-profit consumer movement which fights food waste in Denmark. Stop Wasting Food movement
|Food waste recycling
Educational video produced by Edinburgh City Council aimed at convincing citizens to recycle the food waste and turn it into bio-fuel. Edinburgh City Council
|Mettez votre poubelle au régime!
Viral awareness raising clip - Brussels Environment