- European Community Household Panel
- European Union Labour Force Survey
- Community Innovation Survey
- European Union Statistics on Income and Living Conditions
- Structure of Earnings Survey
- Adult Education Survey
- European Road Freight Transport Survey
- European Health Interview Survey
- Continuing Vocational Training Survey
- Community Statistics on information Society
- Micro-Moments Dataset
- Household Budget Survey
- Public microdata
Information on data details relevant for Research Project Proposals:
AGE: by 5-year bands (but starting with 15-17, 18-19)
REGION: removed (only NUTS 1 level)
COUNTRY OF BIRTH/CITIZENSHIP: coded into 3 categories (Natives, EU citizens and others).
NACE: grouped in 9 sectors
ISCED: only 1 digit level
Description of the dataset
The European Health Interview Survey (EHIS) consists of four modules on health status, health care use, health determinants and socio-economic background variables. EHIS targets the population aged at least 15 and living in private households. The four modules cover the following topics:
- Background variables on demography and socio economic status such as sex, age, household type, etc.
- Health status such as self-perceived health, chronic conditions, limitation in daily activities, disease specific morbidity, physical and sensory functional limitations, etc.
- Health care use such as hospitalisation, consultations, unmet needs, use of medicines, preventive actions, etc.
- Health determinants such as height and weight, consumption of fruits, smoking, alcohol consumption, etc.
The first wave of The European Health Interview Survey (EHIS 1) was conducted between years 2006 and 2009 without any binding Commission regulation. The participating Member States had conducted the survey in different years: 2006: Austria and Estonia; 2007: Slovenia; 2008: Belgium, Bulgaria, Czech Republic, Cyprus, France, Latvia, Malta and Romania and 2009: Greece, Spain, Hungary, Poland and Slovak Republic. Germany also conducted the survey in 2009 but did not grant access to their micro data. The 17 participating EU Member States strived towards comparability via a standard questionnaire, guidelines and translation recommendations. Member States had implemented the EHIS modules at the national level either as a specific survey or had embedded the EHIS modules in an existing national survey i.e. national health interview survey, labour force survey or other household surveys. The EHIS 1 contained around 130 questions and around 340 variables.
The European Health Interview Surveys are foreseen to be run every 5 years. The next wave (EHIS 2) will be held in 2014. Following EHIS waves after EHIS 1 are regulated by Commission legislation.
For more detailed information on EHIS 1:
Health data belongs to special (sensitive) categories of data. Access to microdata concerning health requires a justification of substantial public interest.