I was appointed Vice-President of the European Commission in charge of transport in February 2010. From October 2004 until February 2010 I served as Vice-President responsible for administration, audit and anti-fraud. In May 2004, I was appointed as the first Estonian member of the European Commission, working in the field of economic and monetary affairs.
Before coming to the Commission I was an active participant in the restoration of Estonian statehood and I served in Estonia as Prime Minister, Minister of Finance, Minister of Foreign Affairs and President of the Central Bank. I was elected to the Estonian parliament three times. I also held the position of the Chairman of the Estonian Reform Party since the party's creation in 1994 until November 2004, after which I became the Honorary Chairman of the party.
I graduated cum laude from the finance and credit department of the University of Tartu in 1972 and continued my studies as a post-graduate student until 1975. I also currently have the honor of being a visiting professor at the University of Tartu.
I was born in Tallinn, Estonia, on October 2, 1948. I am married and have two children.
Career in detail:
- Since February 2010: Vice-President of the European Commission, responsible for transport
- November 2004-February 2010: Vice-President of the European Commission, responsible for administration, audit and anti-fraud
- May 2004-November 2004: Member of European Commission
- 2003-2004: Member of Parliament and the Foreign Affairs Committee of the Parliament
- 2002-2003: Prime Minister of the Republic of Estonia
- 1999-2002: Minister of Finance of the Republic of Estonia
- 1995-1999: Member of Parliament and the Defence Committee of the Parliament
- 1995-1996: Minister of Foreign Affairs of the Republic of Estonia
- 1991-1995: President of the Bank of Estonia
- 1989-1991: Chairman of the Estonian Central Association of Trade Unions
- 1986-1989: Deputy Editor of the Estonian daily newspaper "Rahva Hääl"
- 1979-1986: Director of the Estonian Central Board of Savings Banks
- 1975-1979: Finance Ministry of the Estonian Soviet Socialist Republic
Membership in political parties and voluntary organizations
- 1999-2004: President of the Estonian Cyclists Union
- 1994-2004: Chairman of the Reform Party
- 1991-1995: President of the Estonian Cyclists Union
- 1972-1990: Member of the Communist Party of the Soviet Union
- 2003: Order of the National Coat of Arms, 2nd class
- 2002: Elected among "100 Great Estonians of the 20th Century
- 2001: French Order of the Legion d´Honneur - Grand Officier
- 2000: Cross of the Order of Merit of the Federal Republic of Germany
- Various awards for business promotion in Estonia
Declaration of interests [954 KB]