"EU has the responsibility to help businesses succeed and create opportunities for workers" – says De Gucht at the European Business Awards in Athens
Addressing the audience of the European Business Awards in Athens last night, European Commissioner for Trade Karel De Gucht stressed the EU's commitment to helping business succeed. "Not just for the benefit of the owners – but because of how a successful, socially responsible company creates opportunities for its workers, suppliers and consumers." – added the Commissioner. By making it easier to do business beyond European borders, the EU is paving the way for the global market of the 21st century. Commissioner De Gucht added that creating new opportunities and opening markets for European businesses abroad entails change that can sometimes meet resistance by vested interest. Entrepreneurs and companies can play an important role in supporting policy-making, by speaking in debates about international trade policy and providing positive concrete examples.
The European Business Awards is an annual event promoting success, innovation and ethics in the European business community. By showcasing the winners from various industries such as cosmetics, engineering, transport, it sheds light on the most innovative businesses on the continent.
- EU-US trade and investment negotiations
- Towards a comprehensive EU-US trade and investment agreement
- Free Trade Agreements
- Free Trade Agreements with countries outside the EU
- How trade policy can boost growth and jobs
- On the EU�s trade and investment policy
- Trade Defence Instruments
- Protecting European production against international trade distortions