The Regiostars are Europe’s award to EU-funded projects which demonstrate excellence and new approaches in regional development. The European Commission started the Regiostars Award in 2008. With the goal of inspiring other regions and project managers across Europe, participating projects are in the spotlight of communication activities at European level. Five categories and a public choice award are up for grab every year.
RegioStars 2020: 25 finalists announced and Public Choice Award now open
The European Commission has announced the 25 finalists of the 2020 RegioStars competition for the best EU Cohesion policy projects.
They competed in 5 categories:
- “Industrial transition for a smart Europe”
- “Circular economy for a green Europe”
- “Skills & education for a digital Europe”
- “Citizen engagement for cohesive European cities”
- and the specific for 2020 “Youth empowerment for cooperation across border - 30 years of Interreg”.
As of today, the public is encouraged to vote for their favourite project until 15 September.
Commissioner for Cohesion and Reforms, Elisa Ferreira, commented: “This year we have received the highest number of RegioStars applications ever - 206. This shows the growing value of this competition which puts EU cohesion policy best practices in the spotlight and rewards committed project beneficiaries for their excellent implementation of EU funding on the ground.”
An independent jury has selected five finalists per category among the 206 high-quality applications received. In particular, the jury has selected projects located in: Austria, Belgium, Croatia, Finland, France, Germany, Italy, The Netherlands, Spain, Portugal and different InterregProgrammes : “North Sea”, “Channel”, “North-West Europe”, “Baltic Sea Region, the Northern Periphery and Artic Programme”, “Nord and ENI CBC Poland-Russia” , “North-West Europe”, “Central Europe”, “Europe”, “Germany-Czechia”, “Lithuania-Poland”, and IPA Croatia-Serbia.
The RegioStars 2020 5-category winners and the winner of the Public Choice Award will be announced on 14 October 2020 during the European Week of Regions and Cities in Brussels.
Launch of the REGIOSTARS Awards 2020
Every year, the European Commission awards those EU-funded projects, which demonstrate excellence and new approaches in regional development. With the goal of inspiring other regions and project managers across Europe, participating projects are in the spotlight of communication activities at European level.
The REGIOSTARS are awarded to projects in five thematic categories (smart, sustainable and inclusive growth, urban development and a topic of the year).
In 2020, the REGIOSTARS are focussed on five areas that are crucial for the future of EU regional policy:
- Industrial Transition for a smart Europe
- Circular Economy for a Green Europe
- Skills&education for a digital Europe
- Citizens engagement for cohesive European Cities
- Youth empowerment for cooperation across borders - 30 years of Interreg
High-level academics will assess the submitted project applications and crown the winners.
In addition, the public will decide on its own winner through a public on-line vote and award the Public choice award to one of the projects.
How to apply?
The Guide for Applicants provides you with all the necessary information to make your project a winner. Next to the detailed description of this year’s award categories, the eligibility and award criteria, this Guide contains a practical handbook to guide your through the process.
The on-line application platform is open from 2 March until 9 May 2020.
The winners in the five categories, and the winner of the public choice, will receive their well-deserved price at the festive REGIOSTARS ceremony, to take place in Brussels in October 2020.
Applicants for Regiostars 2020
206 submissions arrived this year for REGIOSTARS 2020!
Vote your favourite project here: https://regiostarsawards.eu/
An independent jury will choose up to 5 finalists per category, to be announced on 9 July. The votes casted after this date will be counted further for the finalists, competing for the REGIOSTARS 2020 public choice award.
Finalists - Vote for your favorite project!
The independent jury has selected 25 finalists, 5 for each category of the 2020 Regiostars Award.
As of today and until 15 September, vote for the Public Choice Award is open on the competition platform: https://regiostarsawards.eu.
You can find here below the list of the 25 finalists, 5 for each category (complete project fiches will be published on Inforegio in the coming weeks):
Industrial Transition for a smart Europe
- Smart Solar Charging Region Utrecht
- HyTrEc2- Hydrogen Transport Economy for the North Sea Region 2
- House of Digitalization
- METAL 3D INNOVATIONS (Me3DI)
- ESA BIC Portugal- Promoting the space economy and the European Space Agency incubation program in Centro Region
Circular Economy for a Green Europe
- Take the Cool Food challenge
- SeRaMCo- Secondary Raw Materials for Concrete Precast Products
- Fibrenamics Green
- EcoDesign Circle
- Blue Circular Economy
Skills&Education for a digital Europe
- E-SCHOOLS, PILOT PROJECT
- Museums over the borders
- CYNIC- Cyber security in Innovation and Business Communication
- Digital Academies for Inclusive Learning
- Digital platform for remote training
Citizens engagement for cohesive European Cities
- A Jewel in a Poor Neighbourhood
- High Five! jugendrechte im quartier
- SHICC- Sustainable Housing for Inclusive and Cohesive Cities
- VilaWATT- INNOVATIVE LOCAL PUBLICPRIVATE-CITIZEN PARTNERSHIP FOR ENERGY GOVERNANCE
Youth empowerment for cooperation across borders - 30 years of Interreg
- Time is now for change
- IEER Interreg Europe
- DEM KLIMA AUF DER SPUR
- XBIT- CROSS-BORDER IT NETWORK FOR COMPETITIVENESS, INNOVATION AND ENTREPRENEURSHIP