EIRA and CarTool
European Interoperability Reference Architecture and Cartography tool
You work in a public administration. A cross-border public service is about to be developed. You would like to keep costs down and reuse interoperability solutions that have already been developed.
The ISA² programme of the European Commission is currently developing the European Interoperability Reference Architecture (EIRA©) for classifying and organising building blocks relevant to interoperability, which are used in the delivery of digital public services. The goal is to facilitate interoperability and reuse when developing public services.
In March 2019, a new EIRA release v.3.0.0 has been made available online. It contains many improvements such as:
- Revision of the architecture building blocks taking into account their interoperability saliency and relevance for EU integrated public services;
- Alignment to the new European Interoperability Framework (EIRA Metamodel viewpoint and Key Interoperability Enablers viewpoint);
- Alignment with the EU General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR), introducing the Interoperability Privacy viewpoint;
- Revision of the EIRA views and viewpoints;
- Upgrade to ArchiMate® 3.0.1.
The Cartography tool (CarTool©) brings together high level support for the EIRA© as an opens-source Archi® plug-in. It includes both editing features to model solutions using the EIRA©, and querying features to query an EIRA©-based Cartography of solutions. More information regarding the plugin as well as its version 2.2.0 have been published on Joinup.
Arnaud Reper, Domain Architect Digital Transformation Officer FOD Beleid en Ondersteuning, SPF Strategie et Appui
Pilots/Workshops in European Institutions: European Commission, Council of the EU, Committees
Pilots/Workshops in Member States: ET, NL, DK (2), ES, CZ, BE, LUX
- In ET, EIRA was used to model EESTI (High level model of all the public services).
- In DK, EIRA was used to model e-Prescription (Patient treatment Public Service) and in September it will be used to compare reference architectures.
- in ES, a pilot of EIRA implementation in Carpeta Ciudanana:
EIRA/CarTool downloads: +2500