Facilitating secure file exchange
2016.19 Trusted Exchange Platform (e-TrustEx)
You are a European public administration that needs to electronically exchange information with other entities in a secure way. e-TrustEx is a cross-sector, open-source, free-to-use tool that will help you to exchange structured and unstructured documents and to connect to pan-European e-delivery infrastructures with reduced investment.
What is this action about?
This action provides a Trusted Exchange Platform (eTrustEx) to support information exchange in any business domain, for instance legislation, competition policy, etc. It allows secure exchange of natively digital documents or scanned documents between end-users or system-to-system.
What are the objectives?
The main objective of the eTrustEx action is to support public administrations implementing EU policies that require the exchange of information across borders in an electronic format.
Another objective of this action is to lay the groundwork for the sustainability of the eTrustEx platform within the EU institutions and in the EU Member States by demonstrating the reusability of the platform in several sectors.
What are the benefits?
- switch from expensive registered post to large scale digital exchange of information;
- enable creation of a streamlined European ecosystem of electronic message exchange serving several sectors;
- support secure exchange of documents, reducing manual work and increasing the efficiency of the whole process;
- open Source publication and possible reuse of experience, lessons learnt, specifications, tools and components;
- potential economies of scale bring indirect benefits for the EU taxpayer.
What has already been achieved?
The e-TrustEx platform is currently used in 7 pan-European projects:
- e-PRIOR (DIGIT)
- DECIDE (SG)
- EDMA (DG COMP)
- eJustice portal (DG JUST)
- newCERES (OP)
- EU-CEG (DG SANTE)
- ESDEN (ESTAT)
What are the next steps?
In the last phase (Phase 5) of the ISA² Work Programme, the project will be focusing on two key work packages:
- Continuous improvement of the platform (including the eTrustEx web application). The activities involved in each improvement cycle will contribute towards the further development of its functionality. The main focus of the last work package will be on easing the configuration and maintainability of eTrustEx Node (including the Admin console) and putting in production the new eTrustEx Web 4.0.
- Finishing the handover of the operational part of the action to the managed service set up in the European Commission (DIGIT), which will sustain the projects of the EU Institutions that currently rely on eTrustEx for secure exchange of information beyond the end of the ISA² Programme.