Repeated asylum applicant means a person who made a further application for international protection, in a given Member State, after a final decision (positive/negative/discontinuation) has been taken on a previous application.
The concept includes:
- Subsequent applicants: as defined in Article 2 (q) of the Asylum Procedures Directive this means persons who made a further application for international protection after a final decision (positive/negative/discontinuation) has been taken on a previous application, including cases where the applicant has explicitly withdrawn his or her application and cases where the determining authority has rejected an application following its implicit withdrawal in accordance with Article 28(1). Only applications where Article 40 of the same Directive is applied are considered as subsequent.
- New asylum applicants: this refers to cases where a new application is lodged after discontinuation of the previous application, according to the provisions of Article 28 (2) of the Asylum Procedures Directive and
- Applicants being the subject of re-opened applications for asylum: this refers to cases where a previously discontinued application is re-opened, according to the provisions of Article 28 (2) of the Asylum Procedures Directive.
Repeated applicants are not included in the statistics of First time asylum applicants.
- Asylum applicant
- First time asylum applicant
- Application for international protection
- Asylum decision
- Asylum recognition rate
- Dublin statistics
- Foreign population