Social Protection Committee
The Social Protection Committee (SPC) is an EU advisory policy committee for Employment and Social Affairs Ministers in the Employment and Social Affairs Council (EPSCO), established by the Treaty on the Functioning of the EU (article 160), which:
- monitors social conditions in the EU and the development of social protection policies in member countries. It reports on social inclusion, health care, long-term care and pensions under the social open method of coordination
- promotes discussion and coordination of policy approaches among national governments and the Commission. It prepares Council discussions on social protection and on the country-specific recommendations in the context of the European Semester. It also produces reports and opinions on its own initiative or at the request of the Council or the Commission.
SPC opinions and contributions to the Council of Ministers
EU countries' strategic social reporting:
- On the social situation in the EU
- On developments in social protection policies
Opinions and other working documents produced by the Social Protection Committee are available using the documents database for employment, social affairs & inclusion.
Social Protection Committee documents can also be downloaded from the Council of the EU's public register.
Social Protection Performance Monitor (SPPM)
The SPC developed a monitoring tool which identifies annual key social trends to watch in the EU.
About the Social Protection Performance Monitor
2014 Social Protection Performance Monitor Results
Thematic and multilateral surveillance
The SPC has an established framework for thematic and multilateral surveillance of EU countries' social protection reforms. EU countries report in the SPC and are assessed by a reviewing EU country and the Commission.
Organisation and working methods
- composition – 2 delegates from each EU country and the Commission
- chairperson elected for 2-year term (renewable once)
- bureau assisting the chairperson consists of: Commission, 4 Vice-Chairs (2 elected Vice-Chairs, 1 representative from the current and 1 representative from the next Council Presidency country). Current composition of the Bureau: Thomas Dominique (Chair), Jerzy Ciechański (Vice-Chair), Muriel Rabau (Vice-Chair). The Commission members to the SPC are Michel Servoz, Director General of DG Employment, Social Affairs and Inclusion and Jordi Curell Gotor, Acting Director for Europe 2020: Social Policies.
- Secretariat provided by the Commission through a team of officials including Kornelia Kozovska, Paul Minty and Ginta Niedra. The current SPC Secretary is Kornelia Kozovska.
- Indicators sub-group (ISG) – permanent sub-group, Acting Chair Thomas Dominique (LU)
- ad-hoc groups working on specific topics:
- SPC-AGE group working on issues related to pensions (Chair: Costas Stavrakis, CY)