What is ISA²?
ISA² is the follow-up programme to ISA, which ran from 2010-2015. ISA² started on 1 January 2016 and it will last last until 31 December 2020. It was officially adopted on 25 November 2015 by the European Parliament and the Council of the European Union.
The new EUR 131 million programme will support the development of interoperable digital solutions, which will be available to all interested public administrations in Europe.
By using ISA² solutions, administrations can ensure interoperability between different IT systems responsible for the delivery of electronic services, thereby ensuring seamless electronic cross-border or cross-sector interaction between public administrations, businesses and citizens.
The main beneficiaries of ISA² are public administrators at EU, national, regional and local level (direct beneficiaries), as well as citizens and businesses (indirect beneficiaries).
What is new in ISA²?
The new programme builds strongly on its predecessor, while also bringing a handful of new elements such as:
- a focus on businesses and citizens
- an essential contribution to the Digital Single Market strategy
- the goal of increased collaboration and synergies with relevant EC initiatives
- the promotion of the use and maintenance of the European Interoperability Strategy (EIS), the European Interoperability Framework (EIF), the European Interoperability Reference Architecture (EIRA) and the European Interoperability Cartography (EICart).
The ISA² programme was officially launched on 3 March 2016 with the conference ‘From ISA to ISA²’ in the presence of Commission Vice-President Ansip and Commissioner Oettinger.
First work programme under ISA² adopted!
On 19 April, the College of Commissioners of the European Commission adopted the first work programme under the new ISA² programme. The EUR 131 million programme, which runs from 2016 to 2020, supports the development of interoperability solutions for the modernisation of public administrations across Europe.
Member States and Commission services have submitted 52 proposals for funding, of which 39 have been taken up in the 2016 work programme , with a total budget of roughly EUR 24 million. The actions are partly a continuation of those started under the predecessor programme ISA, and partly new ones.
The ISA² actions are grouped in the work programme into nine packages:
- Key and generic interoperability enablers (6 actions)
- Semantic interoperability (3 actions)
- Access to data / data sharing / open data (5 actions)
- Geospatial solutions (1 action)
- e-Procurement / e-Invoicing (1 action)
- Decision making and legislation (6 actions)
- EU policies (3 actions)
- Supporting instruments for public administrations (12 actions)
- Accompanying measures (2 actions)
For detailed information on the new work programme please click here .
For a financial overview please click here .