The ISA² programme supports the development of digital solutions that enable public administrations, businesses and citizens in Europe to benefit from interoperable cross-border and cross-sector public services.
Solutions developed by ISA² and under its predecessor ISA are generally available for free and can be found here.
ISA² will run from 1 January 2016 until 31 December 2020. The programme was adopted in November 2015 by the European Parliament and the Council of European Union. To celebrate this, a conference 'From ISA to ISA²' was held on 3 March 2016 in the presence of Commission Vice-President Ansip and Commissioner Oettinger.
Under the ISA² programme, the following actions are supported:
ISA² action overview page
What is new in ISA² compared to ISA?
ISA² is the follow-up programme to ISA, which ran from 2010-2015. The new programme will:
- ensure that interoperability activities are well coordinated at EU level;
- develop and operate solutions for the public administrations on the basis of businesses’ and citizens’ needs;
- put in place the necessary instruments to boost interoperability at EU and national level, such as:
- a revised European Interoperability Framework (EIF);
- a revised European Interoperability Strategy (EIS);
- an Architecture, theEuropean Interoperability Reference Architecture (EIRA);
- a Cartography of solutions, the European Interoperability Cartography (EIC).
Who is managing the programme?
The programme is managed by the ISA unit of DG Informatics of the European Commission, DIGIT.B6
The Member States play an active role through their participation in:
- the ISA² Committee, the high level governmental body of the programme;
- the ISA² Coordination group, a technical body mandated to ensure horizontal coherence between the programme’s actions.
How is the programme implemented?
The programme is implemented through annual rolling work programmes. This means that there will be five of them for the period 2016-2020.
Each annual work programme undergoes the following phases:
Submission: A call for proposals is addressed to:
- the Member States and other countries participating in ISA²;
- the Commission services.
- the ISA unit presents a list of proposals that qualify to be included in the work programme, on the basis of the selection and prioritisation criteria defined by the ISA² decision;
- the ISA² Committee gives an opinion on the proposed action list.
- Adoption: The work programme is adopted by the Commission and the budget is released.
- Implementation: The work programme actions are implemented by the European Commission services in charge of the specific actions.
Click here to go directly to the work programme implementation cycle.
What is the available budget and who manages it?
The ISA² programme has a budget of EUR 131 million, distributed over the 5-year duration of the programme.
Funds are not allocated to entities outside the European Commission (i.e. in the form of grants).
The European Commission services in charge of the various actions implement them in accordance with the European public procurement rules.
How does the Commission monitor and evaluate the ISA² programme?
The monitoring and evaluation of ISA² are carried out through various streams under the monitoring and evaluation action, in particular:
- monthly monitoring of the implemented actions and publication of results on the ISA² dashboard;
- annual reporting to the ISA² Committee;
- an interim evaluation of the ISA² programme by 30 September 2019;
- a final evaluation of the ISA² programme by 31 December 2021.
Is ISA² aligned with other Commission initiatives?
The ISA unit ensures coordination with other relevant Commission services (i.e. DG DIGIT, DG CNECT, DG GROW …) and related initiatives, such as:
- the context of the Digital Single Market Strategy, notably the Priority ICT Standards Plan, and the EU Catalogue of ICT standards;
- the European eGovernment Action Plan 2016-2020;
- the CEF-Digital (the ‘Connecting Europe Facility’);
- the IT Governance of the European Commission;
- similar interoperability-specific or policy-specific initiatives at EU level.
2nd work programme (year 2017)
Current status: Submission
|Submission||Call for proposals||From: 24/06/2016
|Evaluation||Work programme preparation||From: 09/2016
|Adoption||Adoption by the European Commission||03/2017|
|Implementation||Work programme implementation||From: 04/2017
1st work programme (year 2016)
Current status: Implementation
|Submission||Call for proposals||From: 22/06/2015
|Evaluation||Work programme preparation||From: 18/08/2015
|Adoption||Adoption by the European Commission||19/04/2016|
|Implementation||Work programme implementation||From: 20/04/2016
On 19 April, the College of Commissioners of the European Commission adopted the 1st work programme under the new ISA² programme.
- Total annual budget: roughly EUR 24 million
- Submitted by Member States and Commission services: 52
- Proposals accepted to become work programme actions: 39
- Actions were grouped around 9 themes:
- Key and generic interoperability enablers (6 actions)
- Semantic interoperability (3 actions)
- Access to data / data sharing / open data (5 actions)
- Geospatial solutions (1 action)
- e-Procurement / e-Invoicing (1 action)
- Decision making and legislation (6 actions)
- EU policies (3 actions)
- Supporting instruments for public administrations (12 actions)
- Accompanying measures (2 actions)
- Relevant documentation:
Whom should I contact should I have questions?
You can contact us by email: ISA2@ec.europa.eu