Date and place of birth: 31 March 1962 at Mikkeli, Finland
Marital status: Married to Merja Rehn; one child (Silva)
1996 Doctor of Philosophy, University of Oxford in international political economy; D.Phil. thesis: Corporatism and Industrial Competitiveness in Small European States
1989 Master of Soc. Sc. in political science, University of Helsinki
1982-1983 Studies in economics, international relations and journalism at Macalester College, St Paul, Minnesota, USA
- February 2010 Member of the European Commission responsible for Economic and monetary affairs
- November 2004 – February 2010 Member of the European Commission responsible for Enlargement
- July - November 2004 Member of the European Commission, responsible for Enterprise and the Information Society
- 2003-2004 Economic Policy Adviser to the Prime Minister of Finland
- 2002-2003 Professor and Director of Research, Department of Political Science & Centre for European Studies, University of Helsinki
- 1998-2002 Head of Cabinet, the European Commission
- 1995-1996 Member of the European Parliament
- 1992-1993 Special Adviser to the Prime Minister of Finland
- 1991-1995 Member of the Parliament of Finland
- 1988-1994 Member of the City Council of Helsinki
- 1988-1994 Deputy Chairman of the Centre Party of Finland
- 1987-1989 Chairman of the Centre Youth of Finland
- European politics: Vice-President of the Liberal Group in the EP 1995-1995; Chairman of the Finnish Delegation to the Council of Europe 1991-1995; Vice-President of the European Movement of Finland 1996-1998.
- Several books and articles. The latest ones on European issues:
- Europe's Next Frontiers (Nomos, Baden-Baden 2006) and Suomen eurooppalainen valinta ei ole suhdannepolitiikkaa (WSOY, Helsinki 2006).
- Columnist in several newspapers or magazines since 1985.
- Language skills: Active: Finnish (mother tongue), English (primary working language), French, Swedish. Passive: German.
- Military service: Savon Prikaati & the Reserve Officer School, class 168, 1981-1982. Lieutenant (reserves) in 1990.
- Salesman (spare parts; during holidays), Mikkelin Autotarvike 1975-1982.
- Chairman of the Football League of Finland 1996-1997.
- Associated football since 1968 in several clubs, including FC Mikkelin Palloilijat (youth teams 1968-1978, first team 1979-1982), FC Finnish Parliament (1991-) and CS Eurocommission II (1998-2002).
- Special interests: Political economy. Rock and jazz. Reading.