The "Europe for Citizens" funding programme for the period 2014-2020 is officially adopted!
On 14 April 2014, the Council of the European Union has unanimously adopted the Regulation setting up the 'Europe for Citizens' programme for the period 2014-2020.
This EU programme offers funding support in two thematic areas:
- "European Remembrance": This strand of the programme focusses on Europe as a peace project. We must keep the memories of the past alive while we build the future. The programme will support initiatives which reflect on the causes of the totalitarian regimes that blighted Europe's modern history, look at its other defining moments and reference points, and consider different historical perspectives. Remembering the lessons of the past is a pre-requisite for building a brighter future.
- "Democratic engagement and civic participation": This part of the programme aims at strengthening the general public's understanding of how EU policies are shaped today. It also fosters the close involvement of civil society in European policy-making. Citizens' organisations can draw on funding to encourage and develop the responsible, democratic civic engagement of the general public in the processes of European integration.
- Establishment of the programme committee, adoption of its rules of procedure and of the annual work programme for 2014 that includes the annual priorities for 2014 (by beginning of May).
- Publication of the programme guide that includes information on funding opportunities, application procedures and a calendar for the submission of applications (by beginning of May). The first deadline for submission of applications for town twinning projects, networks of twinned towns and remembrance projects is provisionally set for 4June 2014; the second deadline for submission of applications for town twinning projects, networks of twinned towns and civil society projects is provisionally set for 1 September 2014.
- Selection of the beneficiaries of Operating Grants offered through the funding programme, and signature of the associated award decisions (June).
For more information:
NEWS - Call for proposals operating grants 2014-2017 (11/11/2013)
The call for proposals for Structural support for European public policy research organisations (think tanks) and for civil society organisations at European level has been published - COMM-C2/01-2013
Europe has a challenging agenda for the next seven years, with serious issues at stake. With decisions and policies needed on issues ranging from economic growth, security and Europe’s role in the world, it is now more important than ever for citizens to take part in discussions and help shape policies.
For the period 2014-2020, a new “Europe for Citizens” programme will take over from the current programme. The negotiation for the adoption of the COUNCIL REGULATION establishing the future programme "Europe for Citizens" has reached its final phase. . It shall apply from 1 January 2014.
Under the overall aim of bringing the Union closer to citizens, the general objectives of the Programme will be the following:
- to contribute to citizens' understanding of the Union, its history and diversity;
- to foster European citizenship and to improve conditions for civic and democratic participation at Union level.
To this, the programme would contribute by developing citizens' organisations' capacity to engage citizens in the democratic life of the Union.
The specific objectives proposed will comprise:
- Stimulate debate, reflection and networking on remembrance, the Union's history, identity and aim;
- Encourage the democratic and civic participation of citizens at Union level, by developing citizens' understanding of the Union policy making-process and promoting opportunities for societal engagement and volunteering at Union level.
To that end, a budget of EUR 186 million is proposed for the period 2014-2020.