The European Capital of Innovation Award - iCapital
32 cities applying for the 2017 European Capital of Innovation!
On 21 June 2017 we closed the submission for the third edition of the European Capital of Innovation award. 32 cities applied with their innovative initiatives proving themselves as a 'test-bed' for potential solutions to relevant societal challenges.
The winners will be announced on 7 November 2017 at the Lisbon Web Summit. Mayors from all finalist cities will be invited to attend and present a video of their cities’ main achievements.
Save the date in your agenda!
Three cash prizes will be awarded to the best city initiatives creating the right environment to innovate:
||€1 000 000|
Learn more on the competition
Who could apply?
The contest was open to cities:
- which have over 100 000 inhabitants (in countries where there is no city with more than 100 000 inhabitants, the largest city is eligible to apply)
- from a EU Member State or a country associated to Horizon 2020, the EU's research and innovation programme.
Applicant cities will be judged on the innovative solutions to their relevant societal challenges, which they started after 1st January 2016. Cities will in particular have to prove how they created the local conditions to innovate by
- Experimenting innovative concepts, processes, tools, and governance models as a test-bed for innovation
- Engaging citizens in the innovation process and ensuring the uptake of their ideas
- Expanding the city's attractiveness to become a role model for other cities
- Empowering the local ecosystem through the implementation of innovative practices