Just Transition Fund
The Just Transition Fund (JTF) is a new instrument of the Cohesion Policy 2021-2027, as the first pillar of the Just Transition Mechanism in the context of the European Green Deal aiming at achieving the EU climate-neutrality by 2050.
The JTF supports the territories most affected by the transition towards climate neutrality to avoid regional inequalities growing, in line with EU cohesion policy’s aim to reduce regional disparities and to address structural changes in the EU.
The fund alleviates the socio-economic costs triggered by the climate transition, supporting the economic diversification and reconversion of the territories concerned, helping people to adapt in a changing labour market. This meansbacking the activities that are directly linked to JTF specific objective, for instance:
- productive investments in small and medium-sized enterprises
- research and innovation activities
- environmental rehabilitation
- clean energy
- up- and reskilling of workers
- job-search assistance and active inclusion of jobseekers
- transformation of existing carbon-intensive installations when these investments lead to substantial emission cuts and job protection.
In order to unlock and implement JTF resources, EU Member States need to prepare strategic Territorial Just Transition Plans (TJTP) - identifying the eligible territories that are expected to be the most negatively impacted by the climate transition. The TJTP have to be prepared together with the relevant internal partners, in dialogue with the Commission, and by ensuring they are consistent with the smart specialisation strategies and the National Energy and Climate Plans.