The group is composed of independent experts with a high level of expertise in the field, covering a broad range of areas of interest and sectors.
Mandate of the Expert Group
The Expert Group’s tasks shall be to:
- identify good practices on B2G data sharing in order to contribute to more efficient and better public service delivery and/or more reliable and evidence-based policymaking;
- assess the legal, economic and technical obstacles preventing B2G data sharing, and advise on actions to promote B2G data sharing for public interest purposes;
- give recommendations to the Commission on how to further develop its B2G data sharing policy.
In particular, the Expert Group shall:
- evaluate the principles, collaboration modes and technical means outlined in the Guidance on private sector data sharing and endorse a framework for B2G data- sharing;
- define and encourage B2G collaborations to test the guidance and facilitate the exchange of good practices amongst members and with the Commission;
- advise the Commission on new areas for potential support for B2G data sharing through the EU’s Research and Innovation Framework Programme or other programmes, and on future policy actions and next steps to enhance B2G data sharing.
The conclusions and recommendations will be published in a report that can be used as input for possible future Commission initiatives on B2G data sharing.
This group will meet a maximum of 5 times, as established by the call for applications.
- Guidance on private sector data sharing in B2G contexts, presentation by Yvo Volman, Head of Unit, Data Policy and Innovation, DG CNECT
- Roadmap and subgroups for the expert group, presentation by Alberto Gago Fernandez, Policy Officer, Data Policy and Innovation, DG CNECT
- Data of general interest, by Laurent Cytermann, Member of the B2G Data Sharing Expert Group
- Mastercard Centre for Inclusive Growth, by Helena Koning, Member of the B2G Data Sharing Expert Group
For more information on the policy this group reflects upon, please read the sections on private sector data sharing in B2G contexts in this Communication and Staff Working Document:
- Communication ‘Towards a common European data space’ - Other language versions here.
- Staff Working Document – Guidelines on private sector data sharing in B2B and B2G contexts.
B2G Data Sharing is part of a broader Commission policy on how to build a European data economy in the European Union.