What is Graphene?
Graphene is a carbon-based 2D material with extraordinary physical and technical properties: it is the thinnest material, it conducts electricity better than copper, it is stronger than steel and has unique optical properties.
The Graphene Flagship
The Graphene Flagship is one of the first two FET Flagships launched in 2013 by the EU. It is one of Europe's biggest ever research initiatives: it coordinates over 150 academic and industrial research groups in more than 20 countries, and has over 70 associate members and 18 partnering projects. The Graphene Flagship activity involves more than 1300 researchers across Europe.
The Graphene Flagship's research effort covers the entire value chain - from materials production to components and system integration - and aims at developing applications in the areas of flexible electronics, printed electronics, 5G mobile technologies, batteries, aerospace, medical applications, filtration and automotive. Watch these videos explaining graphene applications for biomedical technologies, the internet of things and the automotive.
The Graphene Flagship's performance can be assessed through some key indicators (figures by mid 2017):
- 40 patents applied;
- 1500 scientific publications;
- 20 new products launched.
One example of the recent remarkable breakthroughs of the Graphene Flagship is the first fully functional microprocessor made from graphene-like materials. It is a first step towards ultra-thin, flexible devices and holds promise for integrating computational power into everyday objects and surfaces.
How to join the Graphene Flagship
Contributing to the Flagship's objectives and roadmap is possible through the partnering mechanism. It is designed for the research projects funded at national, transnational or European level and for research organisations or companies that want to join the Graphene Flagship and benefit from its network and visibility.
- Vice President Ansip's blog post: Graphene – a raw material for our digital future;
- Director Thomas Skordas' blog post: Graphene Flagship, towards a successful research and innovation model;
- Graphene Flagship overview leaflet;
- Vice President Ansip's blog post: Future and emerging technologies: investing in Europe's future, improving people's lives;
- FET Flagships: lessons learnt;
- Blog post: The Human Brain Project and the Graphene Flagships are moving ahead to the next stage of their 10-Year Voyage;
- Blog post: News from the FET Flagships – The Voyage Continues.