The Commissioner for Agriculture and Rural Development, Phil Hogan, the Commissioner for Regional Policy, Corina Crețu and the Commissioner for Budget & Human Resources (former Commissioner for Digital Economy & Society), Günther H. Oettinger called on the establishment of a new European network of Broadband Competence Offices (BCOs) in November 2015.
Member States have since then designated BCOs on a voluntary basis. Set up at the regional or national level, BCOs operate as single point of contact on broadband related issues, be they legal, technical or financial. Member States and regions are also invited to reinforce the BCO function by using appropriate technical assistance.
The official launch of the European network of Broadband Competence Offices will be hosted in Brussels on 20 November 2017.
Broadband Competence Offices Support Facility
The European Commission has set up the Broadband Competence Offices Support Facility (BCO-SF) to animate and facilitate exchanges between the members of the BCO network.
Active since January 2017, the BCO-SF aims to:
- Support and strengthen the existing BCOs and promote the creation of new BCOs
- Create and disseminate knowledge, including the exchange of current best practices
- Identify potential multipliers involved in the implementation of broadband plans in Europe
The BCO-SF hosted a first Thematic Group session on 15 and 16 May 2017 in Brussels. More than 50 representatives from National BCOs and the EC attended the event and shared best practices on White Area Mapping, Cost Reduction Directive, Demand Aggregation and WIFI4EU. The discussion triggered new training activities, to be organized in 2017 such as:
- State Aid for broadband investments, Brussels, 28 June 2017
- Blended Finance for broadband, Paris, 19 September 2017
- Technology neutrality and broadband investments, Madrid, 16 October 2017
Know more about the BCO-SF
- Check the work program of BCO-SF and make sure to follow us on Twitter #BCOSF.
- See video dedicated to the projected BCO-SF activities explained by the project Director Jan Dröge. You can also read the interview.
- To get a better insight of best practices visit the Broadband Europe video playlist
- A dedicated discussion group accessible to BCO members only, allows for exchange of experience and debates.
BCO-SF contact information
Rue du Marteau 81
1000 Brussels Belgium
Tel: +32.2.282 09 18