The better the men and women of Europe understand their rights as EU citizens, the more informed the decisions they can take in their personal lives, and the more vibrant democratic life in Europe can be at all levels.
This is the vision for the European Year of Citizens 2013, which will provide an opportunity for people throughout Europe to:
The Year's activities will be organised as much as possible at the grass-roots level, by citizens and civil society organisations themselves.
Official website of the Year: http://europa.eu/citizens-2013/en/home
European Year of Citizens 2013: €1 million
Preparatory actions during 2012: €750 000
- Responsible for the Year: DG Communication (COMM) (contact: COMM-EYC2013@ec.europa.eu)
- Other departments: Justice and Fundamental Rights (JUST), Employment (EMPL), Education and Culture (EAC), Internal market and services (MARKT), Health and Consumers (SANCO), Regional policy (REGIO),
Research & Innovation - Science in Society 2013 Work Programme
- Outreach in the EU Member States (cooperation with governments, media and civil society): EC Representations offices, Europe Direct Information Centres (EDICs)- Europe Direct Centres
- European Economic and Social Committee
- Committee of the Regions
- European Parliament
- National coordinating bodies (NCBs) - responsible for planning, coordinating and organising events and activities in each EU country, and liaising with the EU level partners responsible for overall planning.
- Civil society organisations and their networks
- EYC2013 Alliance (members of the Alliance)