Data for research
DG Regional Policy encourages researchers to use data published on this website for their scientific work. Below we indicate some of the data available. Should you look for other data or should you require additional explanations, please contact us. The evaluation unit is grateful for feedback on potential data needs and where possible will try to respond to them.
European Structural and Investment Funds 2014-2020
- Data sets visualised on the Open Data platform
- Categorisation Data – CF/ERDF/ESF – Including Intervention Field codes, Form of Finance, etc.
- Climate tracking – CF/EAFRD/EMFF/ERDF/ ESF
Data on allocations and expenditure 2000 – 2013
- Database of the cumulative allocations to selected projects and expenditure at NUTS3 level broken down by the 86 priority
- Database of the cumulative allocations to selected projects and expenditure at NUTS2
- Integrated database of allocations and expenditure for 2000-2006/2007–2013
Basic financial information
- EU Budget commitments by fund by year and by programme
- EU Payments to Member States with a breakdown by programming periods, Member States, Funds and years
Geographical distribution of expenditure 1994-2006
- 1994 - 1999
- Regional expenditure study 2000-2006: Breakdown of ERDF, Cohesion Fund and ISPA expenditures by regions, by sectors and by Objectives. The report gives an overview of the results and the methodological issues, the complete data is contained in the annexes - Final Report
- Thematic categories. This table present a breakdown of funding by certain thematic categories in the programming period 2000-2006
- Period 2007-2013: Progress in implementation reported by the managing authorities in the programme annual implementation reports (AIR) is captured by monitoring information on (1) allocations decided, (2) amounts allocated to projects and (3) the core indicators used for ERDF and Cohesion Fund.
- Explanatory Note
- Categorisation / project selection data - reported by programmes by combination of dimension codes
- Core indicators data for ERDF/Cohesion Fund - reported by programme
- Expenditure data at NUTS 3 level by priority theme in 2012
- Infographics : What does Cohesion Policy fund for 2007-2013?
- Lists of beneficiaries. Since 2007, there is a legal obligation on Member States to provide information on the beneficiaries of Cohesion Policy.
- Unit costs of major projects. DG Regional Policy has created two databases with unit costs on major projects. More details and explanations can be found on this website in the ex post evaluation of the ERDF and the Cohesion Fund in the 2000-2006 programming period.
ERDF/CF/ESF expenditure "Categorisation system"
- Period 2014-2020: The categorisation system (with 8 dimensions) was set out in Commission Implementing Regulation (EU) No 215/2014
- EGESIF Guidance Note
- List of NUTS-3 regions (2010) with indication of specific territory status used by DG REGIO (mountain, island and sparsely populated NUTS 3 regions)
- List of NUTS-3 regions (2010) by urban/rural typology as defined by EUROSTAT. The urban/rural typology methodology is available on the site.
- Correspondence between 2007-2013 and 2014-2020 "priority themes" and "Intervention field" codes
- Period 2007-2013: The categorisation system (with 5 dimensions) was set out in COMMISSION REGULATION (EC) No 1828/2006