Inflation in the euro area
- Data from December 2017 – extracted on 17 January 2018. Next planned article update: 31 January 2018.
Main statistical findings
Euro area annual inflation was expected 1.4 % in December 2017, down from 1.5 % in November 2017.
Looking at the main components of euro area inflation, energy had the highest annual rate in December (2.9 %, compared with 4.7 % in November), followed by food, alcohol & tobacco (2.1 %, compared with 2.2 % in November), services (1.2 %, stable compared with November) and non-energy industrial goods (0.5 %, compared with 0.4 % in November).
Flash estimate and full HICP data
The euro area inflation flash estimate is issued at the end of each reference month or shortly after. When the complete set of harmonised indices of consumer prices (HICP) is released around the middle of each month following the reference month, estimated data are replaced by actual data derived from the Member States figures. Further information on the accuracy of the flash estimates can be found in the article 'Inflation – methodology of the euro area flash estimate'.
Main components of inflation
Each of the main components contributes in varying degree to the headline inflation in the euro area. In terms of weight, set at 1000 for the all-items HICP, services is the largest component, accounting for around 44.6 % of individual consumption expenditure in the euro area. It is followed by non-energy industrial goods with around 26.3 %.
Food, alcohol & tobacco and energy account for around 19.6 % and 9.5 %, respectively. Together, they comprise less than one third of euro area expenditure, but they can have significant impacts on the headline inflation as their levels tend to fluctuate significantly more than the other components.
The main components estimated weights for 2017 are presented in Figure 3. Table 2 shows their relative weights for 2017.
The breakdown of the HICP into four main components does not follow the standard COICOP classification, but groups items from different expenditure classes into four broad product categories. For further details on the composition/sub-indices, please see Eurostat's COICOP/HICP classification.
Further Eurostat information
- HICP News Releases until December 2016- HICP News Releases until December 2016
- News Release 113/2001 – First release of the Flash estimates
- News release 137/2012 – First release of the Flash estimate main components
- Harmonised indices of consumer prices (HICP), see a predefined selection under these links:
- HICP (2015 = 100) - monthly data (index) (prc_hicp_midx)
- HICP (2015 = 100) - monthly data (annual rate of change) (prc_hicp_manr)
- HICP (2015 = 100) - monthly data (monthly rate of change) (prc_hicp_mmor)
- HICP - Item weights (prc_hicp_inw)