Inflation in the euro area
Data from April 2018 – extracted on 16 May 2018.
Next planned article update: 31st May 2018.
Euro area annual inflation rate and its main components
Euro area annual inflation was 1.2 % in April 2018, down from 1.3 % in March 2018.
Looking at the main components of euro area inflation, energy had the highest annual rate in April (2.6 %, compared with 2.0 % in March), followed by food, alcohol & tobacco (2.4 %, compared with 2.1 % in March), services (1.0 %, compared with 1.5 % in March), and non-energy industrial goods (0.3 %, compared with 0.2 % in March).
Flash estimate and full HICP data
The euro area inflation flash estimate is issued at the end of each reference month or shortly after. When the complete set of harmonised indices of consumer prices (HICP) is released around the middle of each month following the reference month, estimated data are replaced by actual data derived from the Member States figures. Further information on the accuracy of the flash estimates can be found in the article 'Inflation – methodology of the euro area flash estimate'.
Main components of inflation
Each of the main components contributes in varying degree to the headline inflation in the euro area. In terms of weights for 2018, set at 1000 for the all-items HICP, services the largest component, accounting for around 44.4 % of individual consumption expenditure in the euro area. It is followed by non-energy industrial goods with around 26.3 %.
Food, alcohol & tobacco and energy account for 19.6 % and 9.7 %, respectively. Together, they comprise less than one third of euro area expenditure, but they can have significant impacts on the headline inflation as their levels tend to fluctuate significantly more than the other components.
The weights of the main components for of the euro area for 2018 are presented in Figure 3. Table 2 shows their relative weights for 2018.
The breakdown of the HICP into four main components does not follow the standard COICOP classification, but groups items from different expenditure classes into four broad product categories. For further details on the composition/sub-indices, please see Eurostat's COICOP/HICP classification.
- Inflation – methodology of the euro area flash estimate
- HICP methodology (updated February 2018)
- HICP at constant tax rates
- HICP News Releases until December 2016- HICP News Releases until December 2016
- Harmonised indices of consumer prices (HICP), see a predefined selection under these links:
- HICP (2015 = 100) - monthly data (index) (prc_hicp_midx)
- HICP (2015 = 100) - monthly data (annual rate of change) (prc_hicp_manr)
- HICP (2015 = 100) - monthly data (monthly rate of change) (prc_hicp_mmor)
- HICP - Item weights (prc_hicp_inw)
- Contributions to euro area annual inflation (in percentage points) (prc_hicp_ctrb)