Listen. Advise. Engage.
DG Communication, as a corporate communication service, brings Europe closer to its citizens.
DG COMM communicates with the media, stakeholders and citizens about issues of European interest, including EU policies and actions. It seeks partnerships with other institutions and bodies as well as with the Member States on communicating Europe.
DG Communication headquarters together with the Representations in Member States:
- defines and monitors the Commission's corporate image across all communication priorities and tools, in order to maximise the impact of communication;
- proposes, plans and implements the Commission's communication priorities for the general public, based on political priorities and citizen interest;
- communicates on other topics of political importance and/or public interest and helps citizens learn about all EU-related matters;
- provides corporate communication tools and expertise to other Directorate-Generals for their communication strategies and activities;
- advises on the most efficient use of communication resources across the Commission;
- manages common communication tools or projects in partnership with other Institutions and Member States as appropriate;
- informs the Commission about public opinion and reputational risks in the Member States and provides political reporting on developments across the EU;
- helps to evaluate all the communication activities of the Commission.
The Spokesperson's Service (SPP) operating under the political authority of the President of the Commission and in cooperation with the Representations:
informs and responds to the media on the policies and activities of the EU, as the official voice of the European Commission;
- presents a coherent press line by coordinating the actions of the individual spokespersons;develops a media strategy for the Members of the European Commission;
- plans the Commission’s communication with the press so as to best serve the strategic and political priorities of the President and the College.