What is the EU's role?
Social exclusion and poverty among young people has increased during the economic crisis. The EU Youth Strategy aims, in particular, to:
- Realise the full potential of youth work and youth centres as a means of inclusion
- Encourage a cross-sector approach to address exclusion in areas such as education, employment and social inclusion
- Support the development of intercultural awareness and combat prejudice
- Support information and education for young people about their rights
- Address the issues of homelessness, housing, and poverty
- Promote access to quality services – e.g. transport, e-inclusion, health, and social services
- Promote specific support for young families
How is this being done?
The Commission supports these objectives through: