- Going abroad
- For the specialist (English only)
- Take part
- Useful links
EU law divides motor vehicles and trailers into 4 broad categories.
Mopeds and motorbikes, as well as all-terrain vehicles (quads) and other small vehicles with 3 or 4 wheels.
Within category L, motorbikes are further subdivided into 2 groups (with and without sidecars). There is also a subdivision for mopeds with 3 wheels, which have smaller engines and lower top speeds than motor tricycles.
Vehicles with at least 4 wheels designed to carry passengers - essentially, cars.
Vehicles designed to carry goods, grouped by size. Essentially lorries and vans.
Trailers and semitrailers.
- EU regulation 2411/98 (clear labelling of vehicles' country of origin)
- EU directive 1999/37 - registration documents for vehicles
- EU directive 2003/127 - vehicle registration documents
- EU communication - registration procedures for vehicles from another EU country
- EU directive 2007/35 - installation of lighting and light-signalling devices on vehicles and trailers
- EU directive 2009/67- installation of lighting and light-signalling devices on 2 or 3-wheel motor vehicles