- What we do
- Road users
- Policy areas
- Specialist (English only)
The international transport of dangerous goods on land is governed by agreements drawn up by the relevant international bodies. They are regularly updated to keep pace with technical progress and improve safety.
The EU converts these rules into specific directives which apply to all transport in the EU, both within and across national borders.
Transport by road, rail and inland waterway is covered by a single EU directive – EU directive 2008/68 – inland transport of dangerous goods.
- Directive 95/50 – checks on road transport of dangerous goods
Lays down a standard list of points to be checked and requires a report on the checks to be available to any authorities making further checks, in any EU country.
- Guidelines on transport of infected animal material
- Industry guidelines – secure road transport of dangerous goods
Transportable pressure equipment
- EU directive 2010/35 – pressure equipment – safer transport by road and rail.