- What we do
- Road users
- Policy areas
- Specialist (English only)
While road safety in the EU has improved greatly in recent decades (and EU roads are the safest in the world), the number of deaths and injuries is still far too high.
This is why the EU has adopted the Vision Zero and Safe System approach, to eliminate deaths and serious injuries on European roads.
The EU works closely on road safety with the authorities in its member countries. It seeks to build on national initiatives, setting targets and addressing all factors that play a role in crashes (infrastructure, vehicle safety, driver behaviour, emergency response).
It does so by adopting laws, supporting public education campaigns, helping member countries and other road safety actors share relevant experience and providing funding.
- EU Strategic Action Plan on Road Safety
- Sustainable Mobility for Europe: Safe, Connected and Clean
- Policy orientations on road safety 2011-2020
- Valletta Declaration on Road Safety
- Provisional road safety figures for 2017
- Road Safety 2016 - How is your country doing?
- Safer roads for all: the EU good practice guide
- The EU road safety legislation