Actions for sport and society
Supporting dialogue between policy makers and sport organisers promotes healthy living and social cohesion for young people across Europe.
Priorities in field of Sport include several important objectives:
- to encourage physical and mental fitness and to fight obesity through participation in regular physical activity
- to foster a sense of social inclusion and integration through sport, particularly for marginalised groups
- to eliminate racism and xenophobia and to create gender equality through sport
- to promote greater participation in sport through physical education programmes in schools
- to combat doping through education and prevention programmes
- to ensure that young athletes receive a quality academic and professional education alongside their sports training, reducing drop out.
How is this being done?
The EU is tackling sport head-on in the Erasmus+ programme, which promotes dialogue, support and participation across all areas of sport policy.
The European Commission will also strengthen our partnerships and cooperation with Member States and international bodies such as the World Health Organisation, the Council of Europe , the World Anti-Doping Agency (WADA) and the United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organisation (UNESCO).