Tibor Navracsics, Commissioner for Education, Culture, Youth and Sport, presented the three winners with their awards and a prize of EUR 10,000 each at the #BeInclusive EU Sport Awards ceremony in Brussels on 27 November.
The winners are:
- Fit4Life (Finland)
- Judo club for people with disabilities Fuji (Croatia)
- Sport &Refugees (Germany)
The six other finalists – listed below – received EUR 2,500 each:
- Bádóireacht (Ireland)
- Integration of Syrian Refugee children into Community Games Sports & Cultural events (Ireland)
- Rugby Opens Borders - Leveraging organized Teamsports for the integration of refugees and migrants (Austria)
- start2coach (Germany)
- S(up)port Refugees Integration (Italy)
- The running charity (United Kingdom)
Congratulations to all!
The European Commission launched the awards in June 2018. The competition was open to organisations established in the Erasmus+ programme countries.
Any organisations – public or private, commercial or not-for-profit organisations – could apply that have successfully developed sport projects aimed at social inclusion of ethnic minorities, refugees, people with disabilities or any other group facing challenging social circumstances.
Independent experts evaluated the 111 projects submitted, according to their contribution to social inclusion through sport. A high level jury shortlisted nine projects from all the submissions.