Representación en España

EUIPO: Quick information guide on legalisation of signatures

About EUIPO and the documents legalisation

The European Union Intellectual Property Office (EUIPO), based in Alicante, is the official European agency responsible for the registration of trademarks and designs and guarantees their protection in 28 countries of the European Union.

EUIPO issues certified copies of European Union trademark or design applications and of the documents in the case files handled by the Office, and certified extracts of the Register of the European Union Trademarks. In a number of third countries (outside the European Union), however, those certified copies need to be authenticated or legalised in order to be admitted as the basis for a priority claim before the national offices of those countries or as grounds for any kind of claim before their authorities. Accordingly, such legalisation must be requested from the Representation of the European Commission in Spain. As laid down by the European Commission(1), it is the Head of the Representation who is authorised to legalise the signatures of EUIPO officials.

We describe below the steps required to legalise an EUIPO signature, but we also recommend that you contact the embassy or consulate in Spain* of the country concerned to clarify the procedures you need to carry out, bearing in mind that procedures vary from country by country.

* Note to the integrator: Please make a lik to the pdf final_4.5_euipo

(1) Under European Commission Notice C (2000) 2665 of 19 September 2000 published in the Official Journal of the European Communities on 19 January 2001 (2001/C 17/06).


How do I apply for legalisation of an EUIPO signature?

There are two ways to apply for legalisation of an OHIM signature:

1.- At EUIPO:

On applying for certified copies from EUIPO you should state that you need the signatures to be legalised and for which country. In that case, EUIPO sends them directly to the European Commission Representation in Spain to be legalised. The applicant must, also, give the postal address to which they wish the copies to be sent or, if they prefer to collect them in person, should provide a contact telephone number.

2.- At the European Commission Representation in Spain (Madrid):

If the applicant already has the certificate they can send it by post or can go in person to the offices of the Representation in Madrid . The applicant must enclose with EUIPO certificate a letter stating: who is applying for legalisation (postal address and contact names), the country for which the legalisation is sought and the address to which they want it to be sent or if they prefer to collect them in person, a contact telephone number.

In the case of certified copies downloaded directly from EUIPO'S webpage, care should be taken that such copies have a good print quality, A4 format and are duly stapled or bound.


Where should I apply for legalisation of an EUIPO signature?

You can apply for legalisation of an EUIPO signature at:

Comisión Europea. Representación en España
Daniele Pietro MESSA
Paseo de la Castellana 46
E-28046 Madrid
Direct phone number: +34 91 423 80 62
Switchboard: +34 91 423 80 00

Although there is no provision for requesting legalisations by e-mail the e-mail address for requesting the relevant information is:


What do I do once the signature is legalised?

Once you have received the copies of the signatures, the procedures should be carried out, broadly speaking, at the embassy or consulate in Spain of the third country in question. Some countries, in addition, ask for a subsequent legalisation by the Spanish Ministry of Foreign Affairs.

You should note that the signature of the Head of the European Commission Representation in Madrid, and that of their deputy, have been deposited at the Spanish embassies, irrespective of whether or not the countries in question require legalisation of certified documents. We therefore advise you to contact those embassies if you are not sure about the procedure to follow.


Useful links