The Access City Award recognises and celebrates a city's willingness, ability and efforts to become more accessible, in order to
- guarantee equal access to fundamental rights;
- improve the quality of life of its population and ensure that everybody – regardless of age, mobility or ability – has equal access to all the resources and pleasures cities have to offer.
Access City Award 2021
The Access City Award is open to
- all EU cities of over 50 000 inhabitants
- urban areas composed of two or more towns with a combined population of over 50 000 inhabitants, if they are in EU countries with fewer than 2 cities with over 50 000 inhabitants
This new edition of the Access City Award will take into account the current global situation and a special mention “Accessibility of public services in times of pandemic” will be created to reward cities’ efforts.
For the second year in a row, a financial prize will reward the first, second and third place winners of the competition (please note that special mentions are not entitled to a financial prize).
The ceremony will be held online in December 2020.
Why an Access City Award?
By 2020, the EU is expected to have 120 million people with disabilities, and the population is becoming older. Additionally, Europe is now essentially an urban society, with four out of five EU citizens living in towns and cities.
The European Union promotes equality of opportunity and accessibility for people with disabilities. A fundamental part of its strategy involves working towards a barrier-free Europe.
The Access City Award is an award recognising cities that have worked to become more accessible for their citizens. It is an EU initiative that
- recognises efforts by cities to become more accessible
- promotes equal access to urban life for people with disabilities
- allows local authorities to promote and share their best practices
Technical and registration issues: firstname.lastname@example.org
General inquiries: EMPL-EDPD-ACA@ec.europa.eu
Previous winners of the Access City Award
Alternatively, find the previous winners in this list.