Employment, Social Affairs & Inclusion

France - Income support (RSA)

In what situation can I claim?

Income support (revenu de solidarité active, RSA) is intended to guarantee unemployed people, or workers who have a very low income, a minimum level of income, which is variable, according to the number of people in their household.

Income support concerns people who are at least 25 years old, and those aged between 18 and 24 years old if they are parents or if they can prove a certain length of time in work. 

What conditions do I need to meet?

  • You need to be at least 25 years old, or be pregnant, or have one or more dependent children, or prove a minimum duration of professional activity.
  • Live in France in a stable and regular way.
  • Be French or a national from the European economic area, or Swiss, and provide evidence of a right to stay, or be a national from another country and have stayed in France regularly for at least 5 years (except special cases).
  • The average monthly income of your household over the 3 months prior to your application must not exceed a certain level.
  • Have, as a priority, your rights established regarding all other social security allowances (unemployment benefit, pensions, etc.) to which you are entitled.
  • You will not be able to receive income support (unless you are a single parent) if you are:
    • on parental or sabbatical leave, on unpaid leave or seasonal lay-off;
    • a student and not receiving an income from work at least equal to €500 per month (for declared income each quarter).

What am I entitled to and how can I claim?

  • The amount of income support depends on who is in the household: a couple, and dependent children.
  • The amount of income support depends on your income and that of each member of your household.

You can make an estimate of your rights with the help of the calculation simulator on the CAF website.

Amount of income support for a household without professional income

If your household has no professional income, the minimum guaranteed income is a flat sum, which is changeable according to the composition of your family. We then talk about basic income support (RSA-socle).

If you are a single parent with dependent children, or you are pregnant, the minimum guaranteed amount is increased.

Number of children

Single person

Single parent: increase for single parents














Per additional child




If you have income other than from employment (unemployment benefit, daily allowances, housing benefit, etc.), the amount of income support actually paid is equal to the difference between the basic income support and your income.

Amount of income support (RSA) for a household with income from employment

If your household receives income from employment, the RSA takes the form of additional income when your income from employment is below the guaranteed minimum amount.

The amount of RSA is equal to the difference between this guaranteed minimum amount and your household's income from employment (plus any housing benefit). The guaranteed minimum amount depends on the level of income received and the composition of your household.

More information and calculation examples are available on the French administration's website

Jargon busters

  • Single parent: a single, divorced, separated or widowed person who has dependent children who are already born, or who are due to be born, who does not live in a couple and does not share his or her income and costs with a partner, cohabitee or civil partner. The simple geographic separation of a couple does not constitute a situation of single parenthood. 

Forms you may need to fill in

Know your rights

The following links provide further information about your rights. These sites are not the responsibility of the European Commission and therefore do not represent its viewpoints:

Commission publication and websites:

Who do you need to contact?

You can apply for income support, at your choice, at:

Share this page