Employment, Social Affairs & Inclusion

Belgium - Integration income

In what situation can I claim?

If your means of support are insufficient and you are unable to obtain adequate income yourself you are entitled, in principle, to an integration income.

What conditions do I need to meet?

You are entitled to an integration income in three particular circumstances:

  • from the moment you apply until such time as you actually start working or you have sufficient resources;
  • if you are benefiting from, and complying with the requirements of, an individualised project for social integration;

if you are unable to access the labour market for health reasons or on the grounds of equity.

What am I entitled to and how can I claim?

Integration income is residual financial assistance in relation to social security, which is granted by the CPAS (Centre public d'action sociale - Public Centre for Social Assistance) to any person who meets all the legal conditions set out in legislation in relation to the right to social integration. These conditions essentially relate to nationality, residence in Belgium, age and insufficient resources.

The amount depends on the category to which you belong:

  • If you live with someone with whom you share the household expenses (rent, energy, etc.), you will be regarded as cohabiting and can receive an amount of € 578.27 per month. It need not necessarily be your partner;
  • If you live alone, you will be regarded as single and can receive an amount of € 867.40 per month;
  • If you have at least one child who is a minor in your care, you will be deemed as having a dependent family and you can receive an amount of € 1,156.53 per month.

The CPAS has to take into account all of your resources except certain resources which are exempt as well as, under certain circumstances, the resources of the people with whom you live (the spouse, but also a first-generation ascendant or descendant). Therefore you may not receive the full amount equating to the social integration income referred to above, because your own resources have to be deducted from that amount.

More information can be found at https://www.socialsecurity.be

Jargon busters

  •  Individualised social integration project: drawn up between the CPAS and the person requesting assistance; its objective is to achieve maximum integration and participation in the life of society. The CPAS has three instruments at its disposal to ensure the right to social integration: employment, integration income and individualised social integration projects, or a combination of these three.
  • FPS SI: Federal Public Service for Social Integration. A public body which aims to guarantee a dignified existence to every person who does not qualify for social security and who lives in poverty. The closest partners of the FPS SI are the CPAS.
  • CPAS: Centre public d'action sociale - Public Centre for Social Assistance. A CPAS has a number of social services at its disposal and provides various types of assistance of a financial, tangible or intangible nature (taking responsibility for bills, food packages, guidance on budgeting, etc.) in order to allow a person to be able to lead a life which is consistent with human dignity. Each municipality or town has its own CPAS offering a wide range of services and types of assistance.

Know your rights

The links below allow you to find out more about your rights. These sites are not dependent upon the European Commission and so do not represent the viewpoints of the latter:

Commission publication and websites:

Who do you need to contact?

Alphabetical list by municipality and Belgian CPAS addresses.

FPS Social Integration:

  • Address: Building WTC II - Tour 2
  • Boulevard Roi Albert II 30 - boîte 40 -  1000 Brussels
  • Telephone: +32 25088586
  • Email: question@mi-is.be
  • Website: http://www.mi-is.be/fr

In the event of any problems with your rights as a European citizen: EU helpdesks

Share this page