|Workers' organisations||Employers' organisations|
|UNI Europa||European Federation of Cleaning Industries (EFCI)|
Social dialogue in this sector covers activities defined by NACE (Rev. 2) class 81.2:
- services provided by specialised contractors
- building maintenance & associated cleaning
- cleaning trains, buses & planes
- waste management services
- disinfecting & pest extermination activities.
EU-wide, the industrial cleaning sector employs about 3 m workers (Eurostat, 2014 Labour Force Survey data) in over 220 000 firms (Eurostat, Structural Business Statistics, 2013). The turnover is €85.9bn (Eurostat, Structural Business Statistics, 2012).
The major challenges facing the sector are
- the continuing effects of the economic crisis in a number of EU countries & its indirect impact on working conditions
- the implementation of the new EU public procurement directive, 2014/24/EU,
- the formal involvement of social partners in the activities of the European Platform to enhance cooperation in the prevention & deterrence of undeclared work,
- promoting daytime cleaning to raise the sector's profile
- low union & employer representation in eastern Europe.
The Committee is currently focusing on:
- health & safety (online interactive risk assessment)
- regulatory issues (quality & socially responsible public procurement; enforcement of the posting of workers directive)
- impact of the crisis on the cleaning sector
- working conditions (undeclared work; promoting daytime cleaning; employment)
- standard setting & training
Activities & meetings
Check the library entries for this sectoral social dialogue committee.
- March 2016 - Responsible procurement declaration for the cleaning industry
- 2015 - Joint position to ensure involvement in the activities of the European Platform to enhance cooperation in the prevention and deterrence of undeclared work by the social partners of the Agriculture, Cleaning, Construction, Horeca and Security services sectors
- 2014 - Joint position to ensure the involvement of the cleaning industry in the future European Platform to enhance cooperation in the prevention and deterrence of undeclared work
- 2013 - 14 - Joint project to create an EU Online interactive Risk Assessment (OiRA) tool for the cleaning industry in collaboration with the EU-OSHA and the validation of the joint European OiRA tool
- 2012 - Joint position on the Commission proposal to enforce the Posting of Workers' Directive
- 2012 - Joint statement by the European social partners of the cleaning industry, contract catering and private security sectors regarding the Modernisation of EU Public Procurement rules