The Access City Award recognises and celebrates a city's willingness, ability and efforts to become more accessible, in order to
- guarantee equal access to fundamental rights;
- improve the quality of life of its population and ensure that everybody – regardless of age, mobility or ability – has equal access to all the resources and pleasures cities have to offer.
Apply for the Access City Award
The Access City Award is open to
- all EU cities of over 50 000 inhabitants
- urban areas composed of two or more towns with a combined population of over 50,000 inhabitants, if they are in EU countries with fewer than 2 cities with over 50 000 inhabitants
For the Access City Award 2019, cities with fewer than 50 000 inhabitants may participate in one category of the special cultural heritage awards.
The ACA cannot be won by the same city in two consecutive years.
Applications for the Access City Award 2019 are now closed.
Why an Access City Award?
By 2020, the EU is expected to have 120 million people with disabilities, and the population is becoming older. Additionally, Europe is now essentially an urban society, with four out of five EU citizens living in towns and cities.
The European Union promotes equality of opportunity and accessibility for people with disabilities. A fundamental part of its strategy involves working towards a barrier-free Europe.
The Access City Award is an award recognising cities that have worked to become more accessible for their citizens. It is an EU initiative that
- recognises efforts by cities to become more accessible
- promotes equal access to urban life for people with disabilities
- allows local authorities to promote and share their best practices
Best practices from past winners
- Access City Award 2019 brochure
- Access City Award 2018 brochure
- Access City Award 2017 brochure
- Access City Award 2016 brochure
- Access City Award 2015 brochure
- Access City Award 2014 brochure
- Access City Award 2013 brochure
- Access City Award 2012 brochure
Technical and registration issues: email@example.com
General inquiries: EMPL-EDPD-ACA@ec.europa.eu