In what situation can I claim?
Insured persons and members of their family are included in compulsory health insurance coverage. The following persons are covered: hired and self-employed workers, farmers, persons receiving benefits, (pension, incapacity benefit, survivor's pension, unemployment benefit or permanent social assistance), etc.
The individuals liable for registration of the insured person are the legal or physical persons which are defined as liable for the payment of compulsory health insurance contributions.
Entitlement to compulsory health insurance is shown by a health insurance card.
What conditions do I need to meet?
Personal entitlement to rights for compulsory health insurance begins from the day upon which the prescribed conditions are fulfilled and lasts until the day when the prescribed conditions are no longer fulfilled.
As a rule, a transitory period for payment of contributions is not required for entitlement to health care services or benefits.
Entitlement to an individual's right is determined by a general physician (general physician, gynaecologist, paediatrician or dentist), designated physician or medical commission.
A list of healthcare centres and a list of named doctors are available.
What am I entitled to and how can I claim?
Rights to compulsory health insurance are divided into:
- rights to health care services;
- rights to benefits and reimbursements.
Rights to health care services include:
- basic healthcare activities;
- dental services;
- specialist outpatient, hospital and tertiary activities;
- health services in defined social institutions;
- medical treatment;
- follow-up rehabilitation;
- transport by ambulance and other vehicles;
- treatment overseas;
- prescriptions for medicine and foodstuffs for special purposes;
- medical accessories.
Benefits and reimbursements from the set of mandatory health insurance are:
- benefit payment in the case of temporary absence from work;
- reimbursement of travel expenses in connection with receiving health care services;
- reimbursement of other fees.
Know your rights
The links below listing your rights are not European Commission pages and do not represent the view of the Commission:
European Commission publications and web pages:
Who do you need to contact?
The right to benefit payment is allocated on the basis of a decision from a personal physician, designated physician or medical commission.