Employment, Social Affairs & Inclusion

Slovakia - Habitual residence

You will obtain information on residence (usual residence) and the conditions that apply when claiming entitlements to certain social benefits.

Am I a person with residence (usual residence)?

The term residence (usual residence) designates a place in the country where the person usually resides for most of the year. While employees and tradesmen are entitled to social security in the country in which they work, persons not engaging in any gainful activity, e.g. pensioners or students, become eligible in the member country where they have their usual residence. Likewise, the determination of residence (usual residence) is important for workers who work in more than one member country (e.g. cross border, seasonal workers, or workers appointed abroad), or for their family members.

What conditions do I have to meet?

When determining the residence (usual residence), various criteria are examined, such as marital status and family relations, length of stay, employment or self-employment, housing situations, or the state where the person pays taxes, the person's reasons for moving and his/her objectives.

Residence of a foreigner – Information for foreigners applying residence on the territory of the Slovak Republic.

What benefits can I apply for and how should I exercise my rights?

A person with recognized residence (usual residence) in Slovakia becomes eligible for the following social benefits:

  • sickness cash benefits, sickness benefits, healthcare;
  • maternity and equal paternity benefits;
  • disability benefits;
  • old-age benefits;
  • survivors' benefits;
  • benefits in respect of accidents at work and occupational diseases;
  • funeral grants;
  • unemployment benefits;
  • pre-retirement benefits;
  • family benefits.

Beneficiaries or their family members receive cash benefits in compliance with the legal regulations of one or more EU Member State also in the case if their residence (usual residence) is in another EU Member State.

Know your rights

Link to additional information provided by the European Commission:

Whom to contact if you need advice about your place of residence?

For general information about residence in the Slovak Republic please contact:

Ministry of interior of the Slovak Republic

Bureau of Border and Alien Police of the Presidium of the Police Force

Ružinovská 1/B, 812 72 Bratislava 1

Phone: +421961050701

E-mail: Send message

For information about residence conditions according to EU coordination Regulation, you can contact:

Central Office of Labour, Social Affairs and Family (Ústredie práce, sociálnych vecí a rodiny)
Špitálska 8, 812 67, Bratislava

List of Offices of Labour, Social Affairs and Family

Social Insurance Agency (Sociálna poisťovňa)

Phone:  +421 906 171 931, +421 906 171 989

E-mail: info.english@socpoist.sk

or local Social Insurance Agency branches according to the place of permanent residence

Health Care Surveillance Authority(Úrad pre dohľad nad zdravotnou starostlivosťou)
Žellova 2, 829 24 Bratislava 25
Phone: +421 2 20856 789

Health Insurance Companies:

General Health Insurance Company, Inc.: www.vszp.sk

Union Health Insurance Company, Inc.: www.union.sk

Dôvera Health Insurance Company, Inc.: www.dovera.sk

Related news

No related news in the last six months.

Share this page