Employment, Social Affairs & Inclusion

Romania - Sickness benefits

In what situation can I claim?

Benefit for incapacity to work (concediu medical şi indemnizaţie pentru incapacitate temporară de muncă)

This benefit is paid to employees and authorised individuals who are legally resident in Romania if they suffer from ordinary illnesses or have accidents outside working hours. The benefit is paid to replace an income that you can no longer receive due to illness.

Benefits for the care of a sick child (concediu medical şi indemnizaţie pentru îngrijirea copilului bolnav)

If your child aged up to 7 becomes ill, you are entitled to stop work to look after him or her. This rule also applies when your child has a disability and is aged up to 18 or your child has serious diseases and is aged up to 16.

What conditions do I need to meet?

Employees, authorised individuals who are legally resident in Romania and unemployed persons are entitled to these benefits.

A further condition that must be met in many cases is that the person must have contributed to the social health insurance system for at least 6 months over the last 12 calendar months. This rule does not apply where the person suffers from tuberculosis or another contagious disease or is infected with the HIV virus or AIDS.

What am I entitled to and how can I claim?

Benefit for incapacity to work

Persons who cannot work for a limited period receive an allowance which is equivalent to 75% of their average monthly wages, calculated on the basis of their average wages over the last 6 months before the period of incapacity.

If the person who requests the benefit needs emergency surgery or suffers from tuberculosis or other contagious diseases or is infected with the HIV virus or AIDS, the allowance paid is equal to the person's average monthly wages.

This allowance is paid for a period of up to 183 days a year for each type of illness and can be extended in certain situations. In the case of tuberculosis, the allowance is paid for 1 year. It is possible that this period may be extended by another 6 months.

If the person who is temporarily unable to work is not rehabilitated within this period, the doctor who is dealing with his or her case may recommend temporary or permanent retirement.

Benefits for the care of a sick child

Parents who have to stay at home to look after a sick child receive an allowance equal to 85% of their average monthly wages for a period of up to 45 days a year. This period can be extended in certain circumstances.

To access these benefits, the person must notify his or her employer and provide evidence within 5 working days after the time when the period of incapacity to work began.

If the employer has doubts about the person's incapacity to work, the employer may request a medical assessment to confirm the incapacity. The County Health Insurance Authority may also request this assessment, even if the person in question has a medical certificate confirming the illness.

Jargon busters

  • Social health insurance: any person who is legally resident in Romania can benefit from the national health insurance system if they have paid contributions for at least 6 months over the last 12 calendar months. These contributions are paid by the employer in the case of employees, or directly by authorised individuals.
  • Legal residence: your place of residence is the country where you normally live and have your centre of interest.
  • Allowance: amount of money paid out from the social insurance budget in various circumstances.

Forms you may need to fill in

Know your rights

The link below gives more information about your rights and obligations with regard to sickness benefits. This website does not belong to the European Commission and does not represent the position of the European Commission on the subject concerned:

Publications and websites of the European Commission:

Who do you need to contact?

County health insurance authorities.

Share this page